Non working reverse light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My reverse light on my ford focus estate 02 has stopped working, I have tried two new bulbs, checked the fuse, changed the bulb cluster unit, and it still does not work, can anyone suggest what else it could be before I call a garage.

Sponsored Links
Yep - more than likely it will be a fault in the reverse light switch, that screws into the side of the gearbox.
John :)

If you want to be more scientific, crawl under the car and see if you can see some wires going into the front of the gearbox.
Disconnect the wire from the switch and join the two contacts together - the reverse light should come on.
Replacement is unscrewing the switch, and screwing the new one in.
If you're quick, you don't even lose any oil!
(Don't unscrew anything else from the gearbox :p )
John :)

Sponsored Links
May also be out of adjustment which you can confirm by having someone watch the light while you fuss with the shift lever.

It's more likely that the switch has gone, I had to change mine (05 mondeo) last year as it failed. I think mine has halogen reversing lights so it takes a bit of juice through the switch. I missed my reversing sensors more than the lights!
There was no adjustment on the actual switch, it just bolted in till it went tight.
fwiw mine was in the top of the gearbox under the battery tray but a focus may be different, sounds like burnerman has changed them before.

It's more likely that the switch has gone, I had to change mine (05 mondeo) last year as it failed. I think mine has halogen reversing lights so it takes a bit of juice through the switch. I missed my reversing sensors more than the lights!
There was no adjustment on the actual switch, it just bolted in till it went tight.
fwiw mine was in the top of the gearbox under the battery tray but a focus may be different, sounds like burnerman has changed them before.

Ditto that. Had exactly the same prob with my '05 Mondeo. Was a bit of a faff getting to it but easy fix really and agree about missing the parking sensors.

On orders from their marketing departments the car makers may progressively decrease the switch contact capability until they get some serious lawsuits, then they apologize without admitting fault and then the skimping begins again, slowly.
What the customer will put up with somewhat determines the reliability.

This is not so much a safety issue so the lawsuit likelihood is low.

And you can't shunt the switch with a resistor to reduce the initial 10x or 15x current surge to the bulb because it would drain the battery.

Sponsored Links
Back