Noob question - light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new switch to replace the scratched one in my hall. Can anyone tell me if its possible to use it? When i unscrewed what's on there it looks more complicated than i expected.

TIA

Dave

20240203_151328.jpg

Attachments

• 20240203_151356.jpg
    20240203_151356.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240203_151403.jpg
    20240203_151403.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
It's not easy to see what wires go to which terminals, but the switch you have bought looks like it only has two terminals and the existing one more.

Perhaps, what you deem to be a 'standard switch', could actually an 'intermediate switch'.

How many switches actually control the operating light in the hall?

Difficult to be certain, but your older switch looks like what is known as an 'intermediate switch', you new one is a simple one-way switch and therefore not suitable.

An intermediate switch, allows you to have three switches operating one (or more) lights, via 2 two ways switches, one either end, and an intermediate in the middle. The Intermediate switch will have four terminals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. There are two other switches that control this light so three in all - it must be an intermediate switch so i'll have a search on ebay for that.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you want the cheapest low quality junk at the highest possible price from the online stolen and broken emporium, then yes.

Alternatively buy one from Toolstation, Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes and so on.
More blanket statements.
In your opinion is there anything that isn't junk?

In this particular case you refer to
the highest possible price from the online stolen and broken emporium,
when OP provides the linkhttps://www.diynot.com/go/ebay.php?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F174547923763%3Fhash%3Ditem28a3ddf333%3Ag%3A%7E6sAAOSwdpRfzLhL%26amp%3Bamdata%3Denc%253AAQAIAAAAwHLe53FEeR4yNuoVem5pn%252BOi%252FUAG3yq4UoFCM0XeJ2v1r22Sa%252FajsyuQzwVgkiAhRmlqz77CuGgawwz9%252BKqib%252FKshHjCeMMx%252BieziIsvtNAx6o4AYOqMJZTtD2uKVzK1hj10l%252B2TgNjnQzyCoF1RTmaVlf66XIG6NZ7fPW8vjDl21pjTsRmjmVwkRvs64VvccNXk7eptm6l4w8q1NAUA0vxyh26bOJBjbgHyvETnwRWVevTFt7%252ByIXSuJow0kq9hAQ%253D%253D%257Ctkp%253ABk9SR9D--YGuYw To a product costing £3.65, delivered to the door, I'd not consider them to be junk when sold by respected wholesalers with a 25 year warantee.

I know how you rate BG as junk but you provide toolstation and screwfix as the first 2 suggestions for cheaper alternatives.
I stopped at first indermediate switches I found in a very quick search of those 2 vendors being :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-900-series-10ax-1-gang-intermediate-switch-white/96842 at £3.69

and
https://www.toolstation.com/bg-low-profile-switch/p55056 at £3.39

so hardly a saving when one then has to make arrangements to collect the junk products you hate.

Due to the heavy handed way both of those vendors attempt to hurl cookies at usit took me longer to find an intermediate swith on their sites than is does on Ebay

EDIT: cheapest at Wickes; own brand £3.50, BG £4. B&Q LAP £3.65.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
More blanket statements.
Correct.

To a product costing £3.65, delivered to the door,
Assuming it arrives and is as described and you don't mind funding the taxless economy, dealers in stolen goods and worse.

In your opinion is there anything that isn't junk?
Plenty. Ebay isn't one of them.

BG products are not junk in most cases, but they tend to be the choice of those who sling in consumer units with no testing and therefore are often associated with substandard installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back