Noobie suspension question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace the front shocks and springs on my car. This isn't something I have done before so I have what is probably a stupid question.

The new springs I have are longer than the shock by about 1.5-2 inches. I am assuming I need to compress the spring with some spring compressors and then bolt the top mounting plate on and the release the tension in the spring? Therefore the spring will already be under some tension withing the suspension assembly?

Just wanted to check

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right to me. Be careful with the spring compressors though. And make sure you seat the springs correctly.

You'll need to compress the old springs first to get the mounting plate off.
You'll need something like this http://tinyurl.com/28k4wx2
Make sure the compressor has a good grip of the spring, so that it doesn't jump off.

and even if they seem to have a good grip on the spring never ever put your head in line with the route the spring will take if it pops off. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Just a tip - slacken the shock top nut whilst its still on the car, but naturally don't remove it.
You don't mention the car make, but some struts are bolted to the hub, and some have the shock clamped into the hub with a pinch bolt. If yours is the latter, use a new pinch bolt and slacken off the drive shaft nut. This can prevent the CV joint parting when you depress the suspension to release the strut.
John :)

Thanks for the replies. Confirmed what I thought.

John - The car is a 2001 Audi A6. The strut is bolted to the bearing housing. There are two nuts holding the top mount to the body which are accessible via the plenum chamber, I'm not sure if I can access the top nut whilst the assembly is on the car but I will keep this in mind.

Hi - I've never done springs on anything as exotic as an A6 but if the strut is bolted to the hub, then thats a bonus.
The bolts holding the strut top to the inner wings allow the thing to drop down once they are undone.
One more thing - the strut tops have a swivel bearing to allow them to turn with the steering - its between the spring and the top mount. I replace these as a matter of course.
Good luck with it!

Another wee thing, when you compress a spring, it's actually in a state of compression not tension. ;)
How do I change my username to Pedant?

It's possible you may need a special tool to get the 2nd nut undone, but never done an A6 before

Thought I would let you all know that I have failed misserably to change my shocks.

The A6 has multi-link suspension and the pinch bolt securing the ball joins for the top two arms is seized solid. I soaked it in WD40 and tried to heat it, unfortunatley all I had is a DIY blow torch which obviously doesn't have enough power to heat the aluminum hub carrier enough to release the bolt. The nut came of fine but the bolt wont budge.

I don't have access to an accetalyne touch so I'm stuffed now. Unless anyone has any great bolt removal techniques

I'm sorry to hear things haven't gone well......!
I've no experience with the A6, but presumably its a steel bolt well corroded into alloy? Oxy gear could well be too hot, so I would consider Mapp gas or similar, plus gallons of WD40 and loads of patience.
Have a a new bolt standing by, screw the nut back on so the threads are covered on the old one and give it a good (but scientific) whack with a heavy copper hammer would be my technique.

Sponsored Links
Back