norwich union problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need some quick advise before i phone them:

problem 1: as some of you know i got a new car a few month ago. they quoted £100 extra to change to it, then when i phoned a week later to change it, they said £200. told them to check previous quotes and they said that the 1 last week was for a different car. even tho on both times the only details given were registration number. they said that the insurance would be changed and they would get back to me within 10 days after they listen to the recording of the first call. almost 2 month later and nothin. and then i get a letter sayin the policy is £375 in debt!

where do i stand with this? they cant just 'add' almost £200 for no reason what so ever?

and another thing: they sent me a reminder that my policy is coming to an end (due 10th oct). and they have even decided that im goin with them next year and have set up a direct debit! are they legally allowed to do this? (AFAIK they cant, since my policy was only 1 year they cant just take payments for a 2nd year)

Sponsored Links
I had something similar where you think they the Big business will be Honest ...
I phone years ago for a quote on the van , an got a really tip top quote ,I asked for a written quote , I then binned off my regular broker firm who I always used ..
contacted this Southern Brokers Firm ,who added on extras an loads I had asked for all that but was stressed that the quote was recorded on pc there end an everything was sound ,
I played up an got in it with this Southern Firm , in the end I had to slink back to my old broker for the best deal ...
I rang the Insurance onbudsmans an everything but as its funded by the Insurance companies I got no where . unless its in writing they can say anything ......too hook you ...

This thing with the Direct Debit is no big worry , as you tell them by phone to go &&ck themselves then cancel the D/D with your Bank ,if they do try to get the money ,your bank wont allow it an will recover an money off them if they do , thats the security of D/Debit ,if your defrauded its the banks fault ...
Its a cheeky thing that companies do with D/Debits carrying them on but at times like genuine firms gas/electric firms it takes the hassle off you worrying about sorting it ....

btw does this Insurance firm have a free phone number ... ? as you can go to some sites that like to mess with them ..

Moz said:
I had something similar where you think they the Big business will be Honest ...
I phone years ago for a quote on the van , an got a really tip top quote ,I asked for a written quote , I then binned off my regular broker firm who I always used ..
contacted this Southern Brokers Firm ,who added on extras an loads I had asked for all that but was stressed that the quote was recorded on pc there end an everything was sound ,
I played up an got in it with this Southern Firm , in the end I had to slink back to my old broker for the best deal ...
I rang the Insurance onbudsmans an everything but as its funded by the Insurance companies I got no where . unless its in writing they can say anything ......too hook you ...

This thing with the Direct Debit is no big worry , as you tell them by phone to go &&ck themselves then cancel the D/D with your Bank ,if they do try to get the money ,your bank wont allow it an will recover an money off them if they do , thats the security of D/Debit ,if your defrauded its the banks fault ...
Its a cheeky thing that companies do with D/Debits carrying them on but at times like genuine firms gas/electric firms it takes the hassle off you worrying about sorting it ....

btw does this Insurance firm have a free phone number ... ? as you can go to some sites that like to mess with them ..

thanx for that. ill contact my bank on monday about the DD. phoned them and have made a complaint about the difference in quotes (even tho they were both form the same registration number) and also made a complain to the **** who i first spoke to. he was ignorant, kept yawning and wasnt even listening. of course he said he was, but he was unable to tell me what i had just told him.

andrew2022 said:
............... made a complain to the **** who i first spoke to. he was ignorant, kept yawning and wasnt even listening. of course he said he was, but he was unable to tell me what i had just told him.

Don't be too hard on them, you nor I would want to do their job. I wonder how many peed off people he had dealt with before you, and he has to do it in a foreign language. Incidentally he's Indian. The lack of communication is a two way thing, I know, I spent an hour trying to change the policy from one car to another with NU, never again. If you want cheap, you get hassle. I pay more and use a local broker I have known for years. I reckon it's worth the extra.

Sponsored Links
andrew2022
just bin them off an stop that DD if they DO try to take funds then its fraud an the bank will sort it , I was livid when it happened to me as I had dropped my old firm , but went back an told them I would give THEM another chance for my regular business (an was secretly over the moon when they were smashing/cool with me ...lol)

most big firms DONT give a monkeys an will try these things an mess the bloke in the street about ,

move on an if you have a free day you could use the 141 no an then free number all day,very petty but fun ... when done by a remote dialer in Russia 24/7 for weeks they get very upset ,lol

I never had a problem with norwich union. I'm hoping in january my renewal will be substantially less than last year's (2 years NCD and i will be 20!) not holding out a lot of hope though!

Incidentally, if you tell them your mileage is higher, i would think for my age group, the premium would be lower, since higher mileage means you are using it for work usually and therefore will drive in a more careful manner as your job depends on it. Also people of my age with a job tend to me more mature and sensible (no i'm not a boring gett before anyone asks) ;)

Might mess around with the online premium calculator a bit ;)

crafty1289 said:
Might mess around with the online premium calculator a bit ;)

i did last year. on some, price goes up as mileage goes up, but if you do more than 100,000 then with some its cheaper than doin 10,000. never again am i goin with NU. cheapest for next year so far is churchill then direct line

Moz said:

where?

andrew2022 said:
and also made a complain to the **** who i first spoke to. he was ignorant,

What has his country of origin (assuming you were astute enough to get this right) to do with it?

A few years ago I was trying to arrange the insurance for a leased company car. I phoned round various company's to get quotes, stating that I had no NCB (or rather that I had full NCB on my own personal insurance, but was keeping that running for another car and so it couldn't be transferred across).

Direct Line asked about my other policy and, despite my reiterating several times that I was keeping my other policy (with Churchill) going, swore that they could take it into account and gave me the best price. I then signed up for the insurance and paid in full (which in retrospect was my biggest mistake)

Got the policy documents and about a month later got asked for proof of my NCB. Send them copies of my Churchill insurance, to which they wrote back saying that they couldn't accept it as it was a still a current policy. Explained the original conversation, only for the Direct Line robots to come back with the same response. It all ended up with them demanding that I pay just over double the original premium, in light of the fact I had no NCB, or have my policy cancelled.

Phoned up, only to be accused of trying to defraud Direct Line. Asked them to listen to the tape of the original conversation, but they told me they don't tape conversations (a lie, btw). Asked for my money back, but they would only refund the money minus several months atthe new, inflated rate. Throughout it all, they were extremely rude, acting as if I had done something wrong even though, I can honestly say, I was completely in the right and it wasn't even an innocent misunderstanding on either part - the sales advisor had misinformed me, possibly due to bad training, and I was picking up the tab.

Eventually got them to agree that we would meet halfway, on the understanding that I would cancel the policy after the first year and never darken their doors again, but I would never recommend anyone to use Direct Line after the way they acted throughout that complaint.

oilman said:
andrew2022 said:
............... made a complain to the **** who i first spoke to. he was ignorant, kept yawning and wasnt even listening. of course he said he was, but he was unable to tell me what i had just told him.

Don't be too hard on them, you nor I would want to do their job. I wonder how many peed off people he had dealt with before you, and he has to do it in a foreign language. Incidentally he's Indian. The lack of communication is a two way thing, I know, I spent an hour trying to change the policy from one car to another with NU, never again. If you want cheap, you get hassle. I pay more and use a local broker I have known for years. I reckon it's worth the extra.

be as hard as you can on them we dont want them we want uk based call centres

Slogger said:
be as hard as you can on them we dont want them we want uk based call centres

Well you won't get them 'cos you're tight.

he still aint phoned me so i just phoned him. he says he is still waiting for a copy of the tapes and will phone me 2mro. and im still waiting for the complains department to contact me.

and when they try to sya something about the prices, i have strong proof that their prices are not consistant. i.e there reminder says £3800 for next year yet exact same details comes up as £1100 on their site. its only less than 1/3 of the price...

crafty1289 said:
andrew2022 said:
i.e there reminder says £3800 for next year

jees! what car do you drive???? a Hummer?

04 astra estate! even with 0 NCB the quote was less! just goes to show how inconsistant their prices are

Sponsored Links
Back