norwich union rant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my car insurance is with norwich union...

phoned them to ask how much to change my car to X type. their website says it will be £1100 once i have 1 NCB. phoned them and she said it would be an extra £800 for this year (2 1/2 month left!). she also said it would cost £3500 next year. i asked her why the website then it would be 1100. she started goin on sayin she has no idea and is just guessin how much it would be! hopefully ill eventually get to speak to someone english who actually understands what i want

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Andrew, take your business elsewhere. If this was a clueless Indian call-centre, then find yourself a company that has a clueless British call-centre: much better.

Elephant seem to be UK-staffed, and are designed for young chaps like us who don't think "I would like to buy some car insurance" should end in having to sell yourself on a street corner in order to make ends meet.

Are you sure she knew which model you were talking about? An X-type runs from something unspectacular up to a big supercharged 4x4 version, doesn't it?

AdamW said:
Andrew, take your business elsewhere. If this was a clueless Indian call-centre, then find yourself a company that has a clueless British call-centre: much better.

Elephant seem to be UK-staffed, and are designed for young chaps like us who don't think "I would like to buy some car insurance" should end in having to sell yourself on a street corner in order to make ends meet.

Are you sure she knew which model you were talking about? An X-type runs from something unspectacular up to a big supercharged 4x4 version, doesn't it?

it was a vauxhall astra estate, 52 reg. once this year is up i will be going with a differnt insurance company. never again will i go with norwich union. altho nezt year i should be gettin traders insurance. after another call and spoke to another person, i got a quote of an extra £350, same car/details as before!

andrew2022 said:

phoned them to ask how much to change my car to X type.

You can see how I thought you meant a Jaguar X-type :confused: :LOL:

It is unfortunate that you're penalised as a young driver and forced to drive something small and slow. But, although you might know you are a sensible driver you have to remember that there is no "are you a chav/kev/yob?" box on the application form. They just look at the statistics and go "Well, history has shown that young men in nippy cars have an alarming tendency to wrap them round the McDonalds drivethrough near the teenie nightclub whilst trying to show off to a pregnant 12-year old girlfriend".

So, we have to suffer because there are morons who just happen to have been born in a similar year and have the same gender.

If the police profile people, it's "racist". But if the insurance companies profile people, it's business sense. Go figure. :rolleyes:

AdamW said:
andrew2022 said:

phoned them to ask how much to change my car to X type.

You can see how I thought you meant a Jaguar X-type :confused: :LOL:

It is unfortunate that you're penalised as a young driver and forced to drive something small and slow. But, although you might know you are a sensible driver you have to remember that there is no "are you a chav/kev/yob?" box on the application form. They just look at the statistics and go "Well, history has shown that young men in nippy cars have an alarming tendency to wrap them round the McDonalds drivethrough near the teenie nightclub whilst trying to show off to a pregnant 12-year old girlfriend".

So, we have to suffer because there are morons who just happen to have been born in a similar year and have the same gender.

If the police profile people, it's "racist". But if the insurance companies profile people, it's business sense. Go figure. :rolleyes:

thing is tho, i use my car mainly for work. not drivin round like a ****in maniac. and since i use it for work, and i often have loads of stuff, a 1L micra is a bit small....

i.e other night, travellin along at 46MPH along an open, clear road. speed limit 40. charvmobile came racing up from behind, doin 60 at least. i had no intention of goin faster for him, so i stuck at 46. he then overtakes, narrowly missing oncoming car. his pal then decided to get past. 1/2 round, he had to slam the brakes on and get back behind me. he didnt see the island in the middle of road.

and i wish they did have options for 'charv, boy racer etc etc

I had to phone NU once, to advise them someone has hit my van...
The person in question had no valid MOT..
I told the operator that, only to be asked, "Waht is an MOT Sir"

What a waste of my time.

kevplumb said:
"are you a chav/kev/yob?" box on the application form.

bit strong old dear ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's kev with a lowercase k, Kev :LOL: That's what we used to call oiks round my parts, was only cos of kevin the teenager on Harry Enfield, no offence intended! :LOL:

Andrew, this is how they screw you. They can use the argument that you are an "unknown quantity", this is where NCBs come from: you have a big NCB, presumably you are a more careful driver. But even if you are the best driver on earth, it isn't possible to have an NCB unless you've got an insurance history.

I had 1 year NCB, no insurers would honour it when I got a car though because it was bike NCB not car NCB. Despite the fact I had been driving longer and insured as a second driver for a few years without incident. Yeh, because OBVIOUSLY I was going to get behind a wheel, and say "Oooh, aren't these handlebars funny!" and wreck the car trying to jam it between lines of traffic. :LOL:

AdamW said:
kevplumb said:
"are you a chav/kev/yob?" box on the application form.

bit strong old dear ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's kev with a lowercase k, Kev :LOL: That's what we used to call oiks round my parts, was only cos of kevin the teenager on Harry Enfield, no offence intended! :LOL:

Andrew, this is how they screw you. They can use the argument that you are an "unknown quantity", this is where NCBs come from: you have a big NCB, presumably you are a more careful driver. But even if you are the best driver on earth, it isn't possible to have an NCB unless you've got an insurance history.

I had 1 year NCB, no insurers would honour it when I got a car though because it was bike NCB not car NCB. Despite the fact I had been driving longer and insured as a second driver for a few years without incident. Yeh, because OBVIOUSLY I was going to get behind a wheel, and say "Oooh, aren't these handlebars funny!" and wreck the car trying to jam it between lines of traffic. :LOL:

its stupid they way they go on

and im about to type an email to norwich union complainin, altho it wont be too long just so the **** is able to understand it

Sponsored Links
Back