cost of car insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to get the best possible rate that I don't know about ?

The past few years I've used price comparison sites but I've just had a quote back for over twice the amount I paid last year with no accidents or any changes to the previous policy.

It's now at the point where I'm questioning whether to keep the car on the road at all, it's almost as though they want me off the road with some of the quotes that came back.

Phoning my existing insurer now but don't hold out much hope.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Some brokers offer a discount when you have all your insurances from the one source.:whistle:

I'm curious to know whether contacting an 'underwriter' directly may be a good bet.

Sponsored Links
I found the price comparison sites to have out priced themselves a few years ago now which is why I've stuck with the same insurer. I phoned them anyway and got £150 knocked off the price, although it took me about an hour to get through to someone. I'm sure there are other people out there with a clean record and no claims for 10+ years still paying more than their car is worth in tax.

I hate to think what I would be paying if I had an accident ..

Every year it's the same pantomime. I get the renewal from my insurer, which this year was for double last year's premium, I then go on several GoCompareYourConfusedMeerkat.com type comparison websites, and find that insurance is available at the same/similar premium I paid last year.

I then telephone my existing insurer to tell them that unless they have a price for around the quotes the Meerkats will give me, they can keep their policy. They then go through the motions of checking to see if they can find a better price, and lo and behold, they usually find something to match the comparison sites.

Just had my van renewal this month. Existing insurer wanted £290 (last year was £180). Few mins on comparison sites, and I found the same fully comp. insurance for £167 with Post Office Insurance.

1) Never re-new with your existing insurer without using comparison sites. It's a pain, but can save £100s

2) Don't accept your existing insurers re-newal price. They will often get it a lot lower for you to keep your business, and staying with them saves the small hassle of changing insurers. Insurers rely on lazy people automatically re-newing each year to boost their profits with inflated premiums. They reel you in with a good deal for the first year, knowing they can stitch you up in future years.

3) When paying by debit/credit card, tell the insurer that you don't want them to auto re-new your policy. These days, insurers will hang on to your card details and automatically re-new your policy the next year.

Yup, the only way to survive nowadays, is to be a swap tart; you go from one insurer to the next, and sod the loyalty.

But I've noticed that they don't always price match when you ring them. Admiral won't budge, and they say take it or leave it, but most will offer a degree of flexibility. The best trick is to start negotiating as soon as you get you're renewal premium, as the closer you get to the renewal date, the more they know they've got you by the short and curlies.

Just booked holiday parking at gatwick, and it went from £80, to £158 over the course of 10 days; got told they couldn't do a thing about the price, but at least they gave me a link that got me a 10% discount.

got my car insurance 140 squid cheaper & with a named driver . previous insurance had no other named driver

I went through Carol Nash

Well that goes without saying; so why did you say it.
I didn't realise you were that clever. Did you know some insurers use outside companies to negotiate total loss settlements and they are targeted to settle at 10% or so below market value? Save £100 on your premium and lose £1000 on your total loss.

I was surprised that my renewal was cheaper than all the price comparison sites -weird this happened to me 3 years in a row now so I have just renewed.

As to the rising cost of insurance is due to multiple factors. I follow a few Police twitter feeds and you see lots of cars being towed away because of insurance issues. With money tight I suspect more and more people are risking driving without insurance.

Sponsored Links
Back