Notifable or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, recently had my dining room partition wall partially removed to form a kitchen diner. Kitchen units, sink etc are still in the same place etc, and dining room is still a dining area as such, just opened up thats all. However the original Dining area was quite big so it was split into 2 with a stud wall partition. One half for the new kitchen diner area, the other half on the other side of the new stud wall was made into a study.

A new light and switch was put in this newly sectioned of area to accomodate this, live feed coming from the dining area light switch. Also 1 socket from within the dining area, moved to this new stud wall when the partition wall with the kitchen was removed.

Is the extra light switch and moving of the additional socket notifiable, as it is now a kitchen diner, tho all work took place in the dining area not at any point on the inside of the original kitchen. The builder said no, but i want to be double sure.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Come on all you gurus, 24 views and no replies. Should this be notifiable or not, I've submitted building regs etc for the building work, and assumed that I would not need to notify as am only adding a light circuit to the new divided ding room areas and moving a surface mounted plug socket from one wall to another i would be okay ?

you mean you built the stud wall to make a dining area and did all the electrical work for it, THEN decided to remove the kitchen wall to make it a kitchen / dining area ( nudge nudge...) then no since it wasn't part of the kitchen at the time.. ;) ;)

if the other way round then yes, since it's part of the kitchen regardless of whether it is over a worktop of 40 foot away..

IIRC, isn't there a linear limit to the boundary of an open plan kitchen?

Something like 3m from the edge of the worktops?

Sponsored Links
There is something in the guidance document (Approved Document P) about limits, however the law doesn't stipulate distances, it just says: "kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

If the kitchen and dining area are clearly defined by such things as a wall with a 'knock-through' in it or different flooring, (laminate in dining area, tiles in kitchen ), then I would say it could be treated as 2 seperate areas and would not be notifiable.
But then I'm a leccy fitter not a spark. I bow to more knowledgeable judgements.
One fundemental question.
Is the kitchen on its own circuit?
If so then it makes it more clear that it wouldn't be notifiable in my opinion.

Poke my spoke, I know it was not the original ques!
It will still need a MWC as addition to existing, notifiable or not!
SPS

Just to add a kitchen is a room that has an area to prepare food and a sink, if open plan a distance of 3m from the sink/draining board is considered to be within the kitchen or at the point of a dividing wall (which ever is nearest)
If any of the electrical accesories within the now existing kitchen have been moved or re-routed. I'd expect it to then be notifiable work!
SPS

had my dining room partition wall partially removed

So in my view still 2 seperate areas as defined by scarypants.

original Dining area was quite big so it was split into 2 with a stud wall partition. One half for the new kitchen diner area, the other half on the other side of the new stud wall was made into a study.

So new electrics are in the study not dining area/kitchen.

all work took place in the dining area not at any point on the inside of the original kitchen.

So not notifiable but as scarypants says, quite rightly, a Minor Works Certificate should be issued.

Probably not notifiable. However even if it was, it would have been included in the notification for the rest of the works anyway. One job = one notification = one fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back