Number of Gays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So it's official.

The number of Gays in this country represent circa 1% of our population
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398629

So why are they represented (sorry over-represented) on every TV play, dramas (like Dr Who spin-offs), house-hunting programmes, home improvements programmes etc etc?

Sponsored Links
What about radio 2? All over the shop.

no more represented than black, lesbian, single mums on invalidity benefit. I'm sure the real number is more than that due to the number who don't or won't tell the truth on the survey. Not many gays are out at work especially trades as there is still too much stigma and mickey taking banter around.

It is thought that 1 in 10 are gay...so it's not really over representation

Sponsored Links
So it's official.

The number of Gays in this country represent circa 1% of our population
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398629

So why are they represented (sorry over-represented) on every TV play, dramas (like Dr Who spin-offs), house-hunting programmes, home improvements programmes etc etc?

Because acting, performing and being in the limelight is very much part of gay culture. Interior design and shopping for houses isn't a very 'straight' thing for blokes to be interested is it.

You could argue the flipside that straight people are over-represented in sport, cookery programmes, gardening shows and weather reports!

This means there are less gay and lesbians in the country than ethnic minorities. According to the ONS, the percentage of ethnic minorities here in the UK is 7.9% of the total population. ;) ;) ;)

Every organisation I've ever worked for has had at least 10% overtly gay people and probably as many again covert or bisexual. I'd say 1 in 5 isn't 'dead straight'.

http://tinyurl.com/5kn4x
Estimates of the frequency of homosexual activity also vary from one country to another. A 1992 study reported that 6.1% of males in Britain had had a homosexual experience, while in France the number was 4.1%.In New Zealand, a 2006 study suggested that 20% of the population anonymously reported some homosexual feelings, few of them identifying as homosexual. Percentage of persons identifying homosexual was 2–3%. According to a 2008 poll, while only 6% of Britons define their sexual orientation as homosexual or bisexual, more than twice that number (13%) of Britons have had some form of sexual contact with someone of the same sex

It is thought that 1 in 10 are gay...so it's not really over representation

You go with thought against research. Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:
Why am I not surprised you have tried to use this to try and attack me. Loser.

Research is pretty clear. I won't post links as when people dpi that I always assume they are picked to back their claims.

But research it yourself.

Asking someone if they are gay is pointless. It's like asking someone if they've got a small penis. "Who me? Nah I'm hung like a jury me".

Sponsored Links
Back