Number plates

• Thread starter herebriefly
  • Start date
You may as well have 'VVank3r on the your motor - that's what most people think of you.

This is a prime example of the bad side of this forum. Someone starts a thread about number plates. i don't do personalised plates, but i can see the fun in making words out of whats available.
So you post your comment and then Joe pops up and calls you a w@nk3r..... (and i got berated for calling him a nasty piece of work)...
and then everyone else chimes in saying how they hate everything to do with personalised number plates.... well just as i was aggressively told yesterday... if you don't like a post... don't read it!!! FFS (don't want to miss off the 'FFS')...
(if anyone feels the need to have a go at me for this... please start a new thread out of respect for the OP).

So anyway... what i want to know is, how, legally do you get away with misplaced screws (easy tiger, i mean the ones fixing the number plate on), and number plates in different fonts?

Sponsored Links
(if anyone feels the need to have a go at me for this... please start a new thread out of respect for the OP).

So anyway... what i want to know is, how, legally do you get away with misplaced screws (easy tiger, i mean the ones fixing the number plate on), and number plates in different fonts?

The font, size and layout is defined by law. there are no variants allowed from the prescribed rules:

Number plates must now use one specific, mandatory typeface - a very simple sans serif typeface intended to make the numbers easy to read by both humans and automatic recognition systems, which are increasingly being used by the police and other agencies. All hard-to-read variants, such as multiple stroke and italic fonts, are now prohibited. The one decorative variation still permitted is a 3D effect version of the mandatory typeface.

The size and spacing of number plate characters is specified in the regulations, as follows:

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

Optionally, number plates may display one of the following national emblems: British Union Flag with “GB”, English Flag (St George Cross) with “ENG”, Scottish Flag (St Andrew Cross) with “SCO”, Welsh Flag (green dragon on green/white field) with “Wales” and “Cymru” or Euro Flag (circle of stars) with “GB”. If the Euro/GB configuration is displayed, then the bearer vehicle need not display a separate “GB” emblem when driving within the EU.

The colours and reflectivity of number plates are also specified in the regulations, and there is a British Standard (BS AU 145d) which describes the physical characteristics of number plates, including: visibility, strength and reflectivity. Front plates must have black characters on a white background, while rear plates must have black characters on a yellow background. The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: the British Standard Number, the name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier, the name and postcode of the supplying outlet. A non-reflective border is optional. There may be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

SUMMARY: What is required and permitted on UK road-legal number plates
Required:

* White front plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
* Yellow rear plate (to British Standard BS AU 145d)
* The registration number of the bearer vehicle in the mandatory font (black ‘Charles Wright 2001’)
* Spacing of characters and character groups in accordance with the measurements specified in the regulations. Variation is not permitted

Permitted but not required:

* 3D variation of the mandatory ‘Charles Wright 2001’ font
* Coloured, non-reflective border
* National emblem: English St George Cross with “ENG” legend, Scottish St Andrew Cross with “SCO” legend, Welsh Dragon with “WALES” and “CYMRU” legend, British Union Flag with “GB” legend) or Euro Stars symbol with “GB” legend.

No additions or variations are permitted. Common illegal variations are:

* Fancy or decorative typefaces
* Bolts placed in such a way as to alter the appearance of characters
* Adjusted spacing between characters or character groups
* Altered characters
* Additional logos or symbols, such as sporting emblems and religious symbols.

There are concessions for older and vintage cars. “Historic vehicles”, i.e. those built prior to 1973, are permitted to bear the old-style black plates of either plastic or traditional metal construction.

so how come so many people get away with changing letters with screwheads? and the italics and bold fonts these days?

so how come so many people get away with changing letters with screwheads? and the italics and bold fonts these days?

The get away with until until some sharp eyed copper, or some dozy copper instructed to book a few people, spots the plate and issues you with a Section 54 Notice. Not all coppers know the rules about number plates, and some forces are hotter on it than others.

Sponsored Links
Not all coppers know the rules about number plates, and some forces are hotter on it than others.

I guess that's kind of the key....

so if i spread muck or something over my number plate, do you reckon i can get away from speeding camera fines?

Back to the disscusion, i would sooner some old lag with 30+ yrs experience in a clapped out van, NO flasht no. plate, as i feel that i also pay towards that plate.

A woman around here drives a Range rover with the plate- MAN 69 - nothing to do with football....

Theres a posh blonde in a BMW round here with the plate F10NAS

we seem to have the king of vodka mix drinks living round here... so there's a brightly coloured car with the reg V6DKA near to me

There are also 2 (presumed) shirt-lifters with

R1 MME

R5 FEK......jeez....

I bought L66 BMW in 1994 for £3700.

Sold it (in 2007) for £25600 - to a chinese guy in London. :D

But hey, Im a just a thick bloke who likes number plates. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Wrong plate. Still have the L33 one.

David.

Never heard so much carp in my life.........L66 BMW true value is about £750-£800 at a push.....and before you question my knowledge I have been in the game for over 20years .When you bought it for £3700 that must of included the car and you sold it for £25600 to a chinese guy,give me his number as I have quite a few carp plates simliar to that to sell and if he would give me 1k for them I will be delighted

I would not have a personalised reg and think they are a total waste of money but if there are suckers out there why not sell them it....typical personal reg person near where I am are the type who drive top of the range 4 wheel drive range rovers bmw x5, ect,ect which are built for driving on rouge terrian and mudfields................jeez these are only dropping the kids off at school then shopping. :eek: :eek:

Why does everyone hate number plates? Joe thinks everybody who has them are VVankers and I don't get it?

I completely agree anything like DAZ BAZ etc is horrible not to mention fifteen screws around each number etc...

I bought my wifes plate 8 years ago, its a number followed by 2 letters (her initials). It was a present for her and also doubles up as an investment

Sponsored Links
Back