numpty question about max light wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just bought a 5-bulb pendant. the web site says 5 x 60w bulbs, but the manual and the stickers on the pendant says max 25w (that's 5 x 25w, i believe).

assuming the website is wrong, and the manual/stickers are correct - does the 25w max apply to any type of bulb? for example, if i was to use a 10w LED bulb, which would be roughly equivalent to a 100w traditional bulb, would that be ok?

just to be clear - i'm not asking if it's ok to exceed the max wattage with an LED bulb, what i'm asking is - does the maximum wattage apply regardless of what type of bulb you're using?

hope that makes sense!

thanks

Sponsored Links
The 25w maximum will apply to the amount of heat the actual fitting is able to withstand.

The fitting will be able to withstand the surplus heat from 25w LED's, but you have to consider the ability of the LED's to withstand heat too, when installed in a fitting. LED's have a short working life, if allowed to become too warm.

A 2.5w LED, will give you a similar level of light output, to a 25w tungsten lamp.

i don't think i've explained myself properly. it might be simpler to ask - is the 25w max to prevent the fitting from overheating? in other words, would it be safe to use a 25w incandescent OR a 25w LED bulb? (not that i would want a bulb that bright!)

Sponsored Links
Yes, just go by the Wattage. Ignore 'equivalent' ratings.
In my experience most fitting are now stating 2 figures, for incandescent and for low energy.
I worked on a fitting a couple of days ago with 6 spot lights 'max 20W or 5W LED'

With respect I find many LEDs run hotter than the same power incandescent, classic example being 15W SES candle bulb which runs warm - certainly comfortable to touch whereas a 6W LED version runs too hot to touch in the same fitting.

In my experience most fitting are now stating 2 figures, for incandescent and for low energy.
I worked on a fitting a couple of days ago with 6 spot lights 'max 20W or 5W LED'

With respect I find many LEDs run hotter than the same power incandescent, classic example being 15W SES candle bulb which runs warm - certainly comfortable to touch whereas a 6W LED version runs too hot to touch in the same fitting.
That can only mean that all the heat energy is concentrated at one point. At the end of the day 6w is less than 15w.

Well, obviously that is different and clear.
If they don't say that how is anyone supposed to think that is what is meant.

:?:

Yes, I know what you meant. :)

That can only mean that all the heat energy is concentrated at one point. At the end of the day 6w is less than 15w.
It doesn't change the fact that I was able to remove the 15W bulb while it was on with my bare fingers and replace it with the 6W but a couple of hours later I was unable to do the opposite as it was too hot to touch.

in other words, would it be safe to use a 25w incandescent OR a 25w LED bulb? (not that i would want a bulb that bright!)

As I explained, no a 25w LED would not damage the fitting, it would more than likely damage itself - it wouldn't have adequate air flow to cool itself, so would destroy itself due to heat.

Well, obviously that is different and clear.
If they don't say that how is anyone supposed to think that is what is meant.

:?:

Yes, I know what you meant. :)
I'm glad you did, it took me a moment to read it a second or even a third time.
Tha sticker actually stated 'Lamp max 20W or 5W LED'

so just to be 100% clear!...
a 5-bulb light pendant, that states 25w max on each fitting, is not talking specifically about incandescent bulbs. in which case, i am safe to use 5 x 7w LED bulbs. is that right?

thanks

a 5-bulb light pendant, that states 25w max on each fitting, is not talking specifically about incandescent bulbs. in which case, i am safe to use 5 x 7w LED bulbs. is that right?

thanks
A lot depends on the ventilation. As harry says LEDs struggle with heat.
Are you sure you want 35W of LED light? That's like 300W equivalent.

No, still wrong. If it doesn't state a maximum for LED's, then you are very much on and need to suck it and see what you think you might get away with. Even a suggested maximum will not be a hard and fast rule. A well ventilated lamp position has more chance of success.

Then again, why would you need to fit 5x 7w LED's? That is an awful lot of light, the equivalent of 5x 70w or 350w of tungsten light, compared to the 125w it was designed for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back