Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Is it possible if I want a monitor downstairs of a 3 story building to do

Hdmi out to - HDMI extender (cat5)

Into a powerline plug

Then downstairs
Powerline plug cat5 cable into hdmi receiver and then into the monitor?

Would this work?

Is there anyway of wirelessly getting the recorder in a loft to display on a monitor downstairs without running a cable all the way to it?

Any advice would help a lot.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is your tv aerial in the loft ? You could use a hdmi modulator and the picture can be seen by all TVs connected to this , as long as they all can receive free view HD ...

It depends,

Powerline network unit work with Ethernet. Just because something is CAT5 based doesn't nessacerally mean it's Ethernet, from some googling though it appears that some HDMI senders do actually use Ethernet. So they could in principle at least be used over powerline networking. Specifically my googling turns up the part number LKV373A which seems to be available for about £25 for the sender/receiver pair on ebay.

There is also the question of whether there will be a high enough data rate over the powerline link to support whatever bitrate the video stream is using.

As sparkymarka points out if you have a RF TV feed you can get HDMI to DVB-T modulators. They are fairly pricey though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. im have a cat5 extender and powerline so will see if it works and report back. I have a feeling it won't...

When I wanted to monitor my cctv (dvr in loft) on my TV in the lounge, I used a 15m hdmi cable. I also dropped a 10m usb cable down a void and used a wireless mouse to control it.

Before that it was powerline adaptors and view it on iPad/phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back