oak door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had 4 oak doors hung recently.They can be waxed or oiled. My husband gently rubbed down the first one with fine grain wire wool and then hoovered up the dust and the door and wiped it over with a damp clean cloth.tThe following morning the door was covered in a fine black residue.We have tried to use the wire wool again and the door is better but still not as it was.Any advice please as i do not want to start applying wax with some dark areas still on the door

Sponsored Links
DO NOT use wire wool on oak. Both the water on the cloth and the tannins in the oak will cause any minute bits of wire wool that get into the grain to rust and form ferrous oxide which is whats making the black stains.

Get a grey scotchbrite pad (bit like a green pot scourer) and wipe down with a cloth moistened in meths or buy a proper "tack cloth"

Jason

thank you for replying .what is a tack cloth and where will i be able to buy one?

A tack cloth is a slightly sticky cloth for removing fine dust after sanding. You can get one from any decorators merchant or i'm sure B&Q etc as well. May be in the wood finishing section if not in decorating

Sponsored Links
Another point worth noting. What screws and fittings have been used? If any are steel they should be removed and replaced with brass. Steel will stain the oak to blue/black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back