Oak pattress behind electrical switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If having an electrician place a surface-mounted wooden pattress box on a wall with a light switch on this in order to achieve a 1930s look, I expect there is some element of increased risk with having a timber product next to an electrical product in this manner.

To reduce any such risk, should the pattress box be made from specific timber, for example, oak? I have seen several produced from oak.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can buy light switches with the wooden plinth, so these would be approved.

ae235

Even screw fix do these.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the cable just go through the wood into the Bakelite switch?

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of.
Nothing wrong with that (provided the switch itself is up to standard) - no different from having the switch (or any modern plastic surface-mounted switch) attached to a wooden, or wood-panelled/clad wall.

Kind Regards, John

Home made from 100mm wide, 20mm oak ( probably American white ) planks. Cut to size ( length depending how many switches ) and the edges milled and sanded.

The back of the pattress is hollowed out to provide space for wiring.

With antique switches the pattress is drilled with a holes to match the terminals of the switch and a single wire through each hole ( the sheath of Twin and Earth being kept as close to the switch as possible ) A parking terminal for the Earth wire should be provided inside the pattress.

The switches here are ELV ( 12 volt ) but the same method works for LV ( 230 volt ) switches

upload_2022-1-3_21-15-43.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back