Odd Incoming Mains Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Reading a post about someone wanting to move a meter reminded me of a job I did in Chorlton, Manchester about 18 months ago.

This estate was one of the first built in Manchester with electricity installed.

I was doing some additions, one of which was a replacement CU, and I pulled the main fuse (the previous DIY owner had broken the seal) and got on with it.

About an hour later, there was a knock at the door. It was a Norweb guy, asking if my power was off. "Yeah," I replied, and as he walked off, "But I'm changing the CU."

"So the main fuse is out?" he asked. "Yes, I don't fancy working live! Why?"

And this is the incredible bit...

Because when I pulled the main fuse out all the houses downstream of me went off!! I was at house no 5. So 7,9,11,13, and 15 all went off!!

A closer inspection revealed the Eb in its green wisdom had connected the outgoing live to the fused side of the head, not the live.

Talked to the client about it and she was not keen that anyone below her in number could disconnect her supply so she talked to the EB about changing it. A bloke came round, scratched his head, said it couldn't be done and left..........

Never seen that before!

Has anyone else come across any ridiculous scenarios?

Sponsored Links
Not only is this scenario ridiculous, it IS a breach of the ELECTRICITY SUPPLY REGULATIONS ACT 1989.

If then refuse to do any thing about, prosecute.

Did you mean Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002?

I was surprised the fuse did not blow, as it was supplying all these houses...what rating was it I wonder?

60 Amp and the supply cables the equivalent of 10mm2.

Sponsored Links
Not seen one quite like that, but I regularly encounter pairs of houses supplied via a single incomer with one fuse between them. It's a right pain having to go round to the neighbours to ask if it's okay to leave them in the dark for a couple of hours. Usually these supplies have a 60A main fuse serving two households; I wonder how hot that fuse gets as two lots of people are showering, boiling kettles, making toast and cooking a fry-up at the same time every morning!?

Millennium_Boy said:
Did you mean Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002?

Not at all, I KNOW which act of Parliament I meant.

Point taken about prosecution, FWL, but it is up to the client. She is aware of the situation.

securespark said:
Point taken about prosecution, FWL, but it is up to the client. She is aware of the situation.

I know what you mean there, it's the old saying "You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

I think if I were her, and was getting nowhere with the EB, I'd be tempted to empty the fridge/freezer and pull the fuse just before I went on holiday.... :evil:

ban-all-sheds said:
I think if I were her, and was getting nowhere with the EB, I'd be tempted to empty the fridge/freezer and pull the fuse just before I went on holiday.... :evil:

I knew you had an evil streak in you..all this politeness :) is really a sham :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back