Odd-looking ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya everyone, I have been a fan of the forum for a while but just got round to doing my first post...

Unscrewed a ceiling rose the other day and I found a strange looking setup - the cable from the lamp seems to be the wrong way round, and there are two extra wires stuck in there. Is this wired up correctly? I want to replace the rose - shoudl I wire anything differently?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My gut feeling is that there is a second light on the switch, the flex to the lampholder is wired with reverse polarity and that someone used 3+E for the switch drop with the yellow wire cut off where we can't see it.

Would that fit with what you have? is there a second light on the switch? what is the wiring like at the switch?

Spot on - forgot to mention that bit! There is indeed a second light on the switch. Haven't looked behind the switch but will post a pic when I get in later.

Does that mean it's not dodgy?

Well assuming my assumptions are right there are two dodgy things about it

1: the lampholder flex is fitted the wrong way round.
2: the blue switched live wire should be marked with red/brown sleeving.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for delay, I got distracted whilst typing my initial reply and hit the 'submit' button prematurely - hence I temporarily removed my part-message whilst the distraction ( a phone call) persisted! Anyway, FWIW, I was going to suggest much the same as plugwash,so I haven't really got anything to add!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back