Oil boiler baffles corroded and warped

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi everyone,
We have a new Warmflow oil boiler (max 2 years old) in a rental house. It's not working and my tenant got a boiler plumber around, who reports that "it needs replacing as the baffles are corroded and warped beyond repair. He said he can’t turn the burner back on again safely".
I appreciate that's not a lot of information, but could any expert please comment if that sounds feasible, in terms of being unrepairable because of corroded and warped baffles?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Baffles are there to slow down the hot gases so maximum heat can be extracted into the water jacket.
Corroded and warped baffles are usually due to the burner overfiring, possibly due to incorrect pressure settings.
Replacements are generally available and they should be replaced.
John

Thanks for your reply John, so not necessarily fatal then. I'll get a second man out to look, thank you.

I’m the first to declare that I’m not an installer but I’ve come across many a burnt baffle.
The burnt baffles will be those nearest the flame, and it’s usually possible to substitute those for ones that are further away as a temporary fix until new ones are sourced or in my case, fabricated.
Please understand, we haven’t seen yours!
John

Sponsored Links
Not uncommon on Warmflows, especially if there has been no service for an extended period and a bit of scale has built up on the baffles, or the condensing heat exchanger is partially obstructed.

Understood John.
Thanks Oilhead - the boiler is new, at only 18-24 months old..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back