Oil Boiler Service - did he do it correctly?

Chestnut - why are you so up yourself? this is a genuinely helpful and friendly forum?

We are all proffessional engineers making an honest living doing it properly I was trained at the Shell School (in Fulham) untill it closed years before OFTEC was even thought of!! and YES we were taught how to set boilers up by eye, why? Because the Electronic Analiser had not been invented!!

I am a bit miffed by your attitude to my and others replies to this post of course I use an Analiser to confirm that my eyesight is "NOT FADING" as you suggest! and I do leave the resultant print-out with the customer

I also understand the difference between Gross & Net efficiency
and work on Gas ,Oil & LPG Boilers upto 2000Kw/h
so please chestnut stop knocking everyone and making wild remarks about the capabillites of people you have not even met! ;)

Sponsored Links
I am sorry if I have offended you boilerman 2. I would have lots to learn from you and there is so much more I would like to know. I withdraw from this forum.

Thank you boiler man for re enforcing that this is a friendly site and supposed to be a helpful forum to cunsumers and other industry profesionals.

I think when people have axes to grind, or feel frustrated with life, they feel the need to attack the very people that have every good intention to help their fellow men. Lifes is tough enough and consider us very lucky to share in your years of experience and knowledge. "All free of charge".

DEMOCRACY IS BUILT ON THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH

"THERE IS NO WRONG OR RIGHT" "ONLY OPPINION"

Sponsored Links
My recommendation for advising Boiler Juice was based solely on the price and professionalism and no other reason as there is no financial benefit to myself.

My review was looking at being objective and must have hit a raw nerve, but throwing insults by accusing the author of making an “arse “of himself is just churlish and says more about the respondent:!!!

The review was presented objectively had it been read properly, and not taken out of context.

Having arranged 6 trades persons from the OFTEC web site to quote . 6 weeks later I’m still awaiting quotes.

I find it quite incredible as to the bad manners and can well understand why the industry has such a damaged reputation. Not with standing there are very reputable heating engineers, who are worth their weight in gold and offer wonderful customer support and service.

I considered my visiting "OFTEC" trades people unreliable.
I approached Boiler Juice and was pleased with the customer experince, not to mention the standard of service and efficiency, Unlike the time wasters that were purporting to be professionals who proved themselves to be unreliable and feckless.

As a consequence I have become acquainted with a super engineer who ticks all the boxes.

It is a sad reflection when forum member feel the need to attack other forum members, and disrepect other peoplle view points and oppinions.

This behaviouir is akin to the playground bully.!!! but we know what they say about bullies?????

You raked up an old post to force an argument about regional price differences, nothing else. The example of consistent perfection you quoted was from a source that offers vastly differing prices across regions. So your point is an a*se. You're upset because you've made a fool of yourself.

I am sorry if I have offended you boilerman 2. I would have lots to learn from you and there is so much more I would like to know. I withdraw from this forum.
i came accross this by accident....and i would guess you have probably been a painter and decorator since you left school and have now just completed an oftec course and its went to your head.its a big problem that joe blogs can be oftec registered in a very short period of time with no previous heating experience.it would probably take you a week to repair a locked out burner and at your rates you would be earning 5 grand a week.no wonder the trade gets bad press.i have to say chestNUT you make me laugh"fga to set up a 20+ year d rated pressure jet" whatever next????? boilerman2 hit the nail on the head.anyway to all the genuine tradesmen my rant is over.

I fail to see how he could do this.
Since the burner is in the combustion chamber and there is usually
no sight glass.
Removing the burn and looking at the flame wouldn't work as this would
change the amount of air getting at the burner.

Sorry only way I can see it done is smoke test pump and the flue
gas analyzer.

no sight glass.

gas analyzer.
what do you think was done 20 odd years ago when there was no fga ?????

no sight glass.

gas analyzer.

I have no idea. I cannot see without a sight glass so that the flame can
be seen clearly with burner in place how it is possible to set up the flame correctly.
The only way I can see that it could be done would be smoke pump to
achieve an approximate setting.

Perhaps you could describe the procedure so that I know it for when my
fga breaks down.

Most older boilers have a Sight glass, some newer ones too such as pott statesman myson Trianco TRO's had glass on top plate as did the older stewarts, however even without a sight glass you can sometimes view the flame through the test point depending on its location and of cours the Smoke gun is an excellent way of "rough setting" an oil burner visual check of flue terminal for smoke is the easy one...need I go on??

As do I once you are in the house and trusted you get all the plumbing and heating works. I'm in the south east of the country and cannot book any more work in till early Feb as I am fully booked. cheers ps a bit snowed in at the moment though.
Do you want an assistant :?:

no sight glass.

gas analyzer.
I thought I saw a FGA used in the 70`s - liquids changing colour when exposed to a drop of sniffed gas --- OR am I thinking of a concert I went to ;)

[I thought I saw a FGA used in the 70`s - liquids changing colour when exposed to a drop of sniffed gas --- OR am I thinking of a concert I went to ;)[/quote]

This would be a 'Fyrite' kit, using absorption solutions to measure CO2 and CO. Along with a smoke pump and a thermometer, it will do exactly what a FGA does today. It is still allowed as a viable option to satisfy the OFTEC analysis requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back