oil burner not starting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, the burner is not firing up at all, not even trying to either, cant remember the name of it either lol, but i posted years ago about the same symptoms but cant find any mention of it, have they deleted all the archived stuff?

Sponsored Links
last time i think it was a computer stick needed replacing, wish i kn ew the make, will find out tomorrow, something star rings a bell

Sponsored Links
thank you John and AJ, yes that thread was me, i found it in the end, had a look at my burner this morning, it worked when i used the control box, heated the house thankfully, but after switching off and trying to start it from controls inside the house there is no response except the amber light coming on, last time i had problems it was the photocell.....do we have any offers? thanks again for replying Guys

update, new photocell wasnt the answer this time, got one from my local plumbing store(i thought it would come in wrapping or a box, but he just handed me it?), ive just got burner to fire up after 3rd go using the control box(had the thermo on 26 degrees) and it heated the house to around 18degrees then stopped............again any input is greatly appreciated, im thinking it might be time to call a heating plumber engineer type person!

If it takes 2 or 3 times to start, it could be fuel problems. Is there a large air bubble in the flexi pipe? Oil could be leaking back through the fire valve as the non return valve could be faulty.
A competent service engineer would be able to check for this, and also give it a good service at the same time.

thanks for the reply Oilhead, tbh there is always some air in the pipe, ive been told thats pretty normal on these? secondly, would that explain why its not responding at all(apart from amber light) to the controls indoors?

An air bubble is not unusual, but if it is too big, then the burner can lock out before it reprimes. The amber light is lockout, and this is your boilers response to the controls. Have you checked any filters to see if there is a blockage? When you press the reset, does the burner light then lockout, or is there no ignition at all? It is possible that if the burner has been re-igniting whilst running, that you have a goosed transformer. Do you have a spark at the electrodes?

i must confess you are getting too technical for me lol, basically, burner only works when i hit the control box button, it then burns for around 20 minutes, warming the house, then stops, and stops well short of the thermo setting of 26 degrees, more like 18

Can be electrical fault - motor capacitor, oil pump solenoid, control box, etc.
That is assuming the boiler combustion is correct.
No point in you chucking parts to it hoping you somehow hit lucky. The boiler needs serviced, so why not get it serviced and repaired at service?

the wheels are in motion, turns out one of my squash acquaintances services oil burners for a living, a chance conversation and hes coming round tonight for a look, but you are right, its been serviced once in 19 years which is shameful, had a handful of replacement parts fitted by myself, it owes me nothing, the fact it is still struggling on with 20 minute bursts to keep us warm tells me it forgives me for my negligence, thanks for the reply Reject

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back