Ok for some

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Speed camera on single lane national limit highway ... set to flash at 66 mph as an example. (could be less, I know )
Normal cars ........................... limit 60 mph
Goods not ex. 7.5Tonnes etc.... limit 50 mph
HGV over 7.5 Tonnes.............. limit 40 mph
There are variations within these examples.
Precise limits
How come restricted vehicles can .. exceed their speed limit by say 26 mph 65% for HVG before being flashed ?
Even with 50 mph limitation single carriageway the HGV is allowed near 38% over limit before being flashed.

Could this be the reason why many dual carriageways have 50 mph limit ? 50 mph is the limit for HGV on these roads. Hence cameras are then 'fair' to all.
P

Sponsored Links
A goods vehicle below 7.5 tonnes can be driven by most people on a car licence and is therefore not an LGV (hgv)

A LGV is only allowed to do 40mph on the roads you mention not 50mph.

A friend of mine got flashed in an LGV at 45mph on a dual carraigeway marked 50mph. I do not know how camera's work, but believe there maybe a loop system which measures the wheelbase.

Speed restrictions are also on roads with weight restrictions.

The reasons for the low speeds limits are because we live in a nanny state, which has an obsession with the motorist and his wallet(or her purse).

Speed Limits :-
Built-up Areas*, Single carriage-ways, Dual carriage-ways, Motorways.
Type of vehicle
Cars and motorcycles (including car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30, 60, 70, 70
Cars towing caravans or trailers (including car derived vans and motorcycles)
30, 50, 60, 60
Buses and coaches (not exceeding 12 metres in overall length)
30, 50, 60, 70

Goods vehicles (not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30, 50, 60, 70_but 60 if articulated or towing a trailer.

Goods vehicles (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
30, 40, 50, 60
These are the national speed limits and apply to all roads unless signs show otherwise
Perhaps the limits have been amended ... Leaving aside special weight limits .... These are the currently posted limitations from http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml mid pag-ish.

Nanny --- too right !!

P

I take your point about single v dual carraigeway, as I said I don't know how camera's work because my mate definately got flashed. Don't forget though, that these trucks are governed to 56mph anyway.(except Irish registered it would seem)

The dodgiest is the first limit, vans up to 2 tonnes, this restricts most transits etc, but hardly anyone realises this, they think they can do the same speed as cars.

Sponsored Links
sad.gif

Join the revolution and put your sign in the back window of your car!

mind you when does the establishment ever listen to the populace these days?

xxxxxxrich said:
sad.gif

Join the revolution and put your sign in the back window of your car!

Are you saying we should have the right to break the speed limit ?

masona said:
Are you saying we should have the right to break the speed limit ?

The way I look at it isn't that we should have the right to break the limit, but speed cameras don't do the job they are alleged to, i.e. improve road safety. If I was going too fast because of a stolen or vandalised speed limit sign (I know one where someone turned it round so it looked like it was a repeater sign for the 40 limit rather than the start of a 30 limit) a policeman would have seen it too and would either not stop me or would stop me and point it out to me that it IS really a 30. Many speed limits are stupid as well. Because they are too low I get idiots tailgating me or overtaking badly because the feel that despite being a 30 limit it should be a 40 or 50 and they will drive that speed. OK, so that is the fault of the idiot, but it makes the road more dangerous and a camera won't solve it.

Why not spend the money on drug dogs instead? They could be taken for walks all around town, sniffing out drugs and increasing the number of drugs convictions. Much cheaper than a camera. Or perhaps install covert metal detectors to find people who carry knives and knuckle dusters on the streets? I would rather people drove past my front door at 34 mph than walk past with concealed weapons.

Or, god forbid, they could actually employ some policemen to do the police's job!

Viz did a brilliant spoof on Gatsos, an article about how the police were installing "Murder Cameras", modified Gatsos, along motorways and in services. An attempt to reduce the number of deaths caused by HGV drivers murdering hitchhikers. :LOL:

AdamW said:
Many speed limits are stupid as well. Because they are too low I get idiots tailgating me or overtaking badly because the feel that despite being a 30 limit it should be a 40 or 50 and they will drive that speed. OK, so that is the fault of the idiot, but it makes the road more dangerous and a camera won't solve it.
I don't think it will make any difference, whatever the speed limit drivers will always go 5 or 10 mph over. The way I see it is, if you don't agreed with the speed limit then write to your local council stating your reason.

If the speed limit was 80mph on motorway drivers will still do 90mph + :eek:

I know driver keep banging on about gatso camera making money but then who fault is that !

Don't get me wrong I wasn't prefect but we have got more gatso camera where I lived than anywhere else as we were on the pilot plan. You do get used to it.

Sponsored Links
Back