Okay, what’s the catch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Popping out to Spain next month to MIL's villa, already booked our car from these people as we use them all the time. Just idly checking for a friend going out there around the same time and look at the prices! Those prices are the total price for 6 days. I can’t see the catch, can you?

9A8992FF-53B0-43A0-82A8-597F92BEC646.png

Sponsored Links
Just had a look at the T&C's and there's lot of add on charges.

One to be wary of is paying the insurance excess waiver fee otherwise they take the full excess (€1100) as a deposit from your card.

I have a yearly insurance excess policy (costs about £40) so they just block off a certain amount on your card. One company charged me about €650 once for scratches that definitely weren’t in it when I took it back but the insurance just refunded me. Apart from being charged for a tank of fuel (which is refunded when you bring it back full) I’ve never been charged a penny extra for 'extras' or had any hard sell. Never seen prices like that though.

Sponsored Links
Popping out to Spain next month to MIL's villa, already booked our car from these people as we use them all the time. Just idly checking for a friend going out there around the same time and look at the prices! Those prices are the total price for 6 days. I can’t see the catch, can you?

View attachment 163328
"If it looks too good to be true".......

SFK. There are others on that site going right up to 9 or 10 Euros for the six days lol. Who do you believe though - Avis and Hertz don’t get higher than 1.8/5 on trustpilot either!

Mot,
I know, as said issues is that you get more complaints than praise.
But am suppised that Avis have same score - but is this for the same quantity of "I've been ripped off" reasons that dickmanns seems to be getting?

And had that slection issue many times when I have been hiring. Including the time when hire car engine kept overheating and I only then noted the small print on back of hire form that said I was to "if car breaks I was to pay fro recover and continue to pay for daily hire until they had fixed car"! I nursed the car back safely.

I have found that they all try and get most money from me, but those that I have paid resonable amount to have been least likley to actually rip me off.
I also use the annual car insurance policy, great money saving, but have fountalty never needed to actually calim from it to ry it out.

Crossed fingers for your selection, SFK

And you are correct - avis do have a terrible terrible listing. Lots of rip off complaints.
I have done okay with them, but perhaps because I use Avis a lot and know/expect some of their questionable methods they use to maximise their bill when I arrive at the desk.
SFK

I dunno what this says about the industry, but I have hired a car 3 times in my life and been ripped off every single time. But I have hired countless vans and lorries and never had an issue.

Not a scam, just expensive at about €40 for the 6 days. I never have their insurance as I buy a separate yearly one costing just over £40. I had to claim on it once and they paid out with no quibbles. My mate has one too and he had two claims a month apart and again, they paid out quickly. Basically, the hire company take the money from any deposit they block off from your card. You then have to send your hire contract, any correspondence from the hire company and a copy of your credit card statement proving it has been taken before the ins co. pay out. You usually find out a few days after you come home when the hire company 'discover' any damage and I think the ins company bank on most people chucking their hire contract paperwork away so you must hang on to them.

I hired in the canaries. read all sorts of stories and reviews about damage added on return. They give you a big sell on the extra insurance, but if you have annual excess cover they aren't so bothered. I didn't have any problems. Cost me £30 for the week which was cheaper than £100 for a taxi. I only drove it from the airport to the marina and back again. Just make sure you have excess cover and photograph the car in good light before hand. Add any minor damage to the contract before you leave, vague circles and crosses that they sign-off on without checking help you argue any new damage.
Make sure the car is full on return as they top up test. It was a bit embarrassing putting <4 euro of fuel in my car.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back