Old Dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I have a really old type of Dimmer switch that I have had for such a long time. My light bulb has blown out and needs replacing. I want to order one from Amazon. Will this one be fine or will I face issues? I want the bulb to be suitable because I can’t get an LED one because I tried using an Led and it flickered!
434F2F13-F536-4626-A965-780E8B03812C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Technically you should not dim quartz, but as long as not dimmed too much not likely to be a problem. Theory is quartz is so hot the tungsten will not deposit on the quartz but return to the tungsten, if running too cool the tungsten will be deposited on the quartz making it go black.

I will admit I have had problems with the smaller LED bulbs with flashing when off or shimmer when on, but the larger physical size bulbs not had a problem with.

For dimming I use smart bulbs rather than dimmer switch.

Your old dimmer will have caused the new led lamp to flicker. For what you'll be spending on the lamps and the power to run them you'd be better buying a dimmable led lamp and the dimmer to go with it.

Your old dimmer will have caused the new led lamp to flicker. For what you'll be spending on the lamps and the power to run them you'd be better buying a dimmable led lamp and the dimmer to go with it.
I know. Thats a good idea. I was thinking the same. Its worth purchasing both so you save money. The current dimmer I have you can hear a buzzing noise and the part where you turn it up/down is popping out, you can see the metal ring. Which Dimmer switch would you recommend? I am going to purchase from wickes most likely.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest having a look for somewhere supplying led lamps and dimmers in the same shop, ideally in one box.
Before you go shopping, you could do with checking whether there's a neutral available at your existing dimmer switch- if there isn't this limits the devices you can use.

I'd suggest having a look for somewhere supplying led lamps and dimmers in the same shop, ideally in one box.
Before you go shopping, you could do with checking whether there's a neutral available at your existing dimmer switch- if there isn't this limits the devices you can use.
Wickes do dimmier switched and light bulbs. Ill open my current dimmer up and hopefully there is a neutral wire in there. It should be in there!

I opened my current dimmer. It looks like it has a neutral
99DD4F34-1143-4934-AD49-CA558B26E862.jpeg

what makes you think that?

are you assuming by the colour of the insulation?
No. Not at all. I studied an electrical course for 1 year mate! The colour doesn’t have to always represent it

Looking at picture I would say no neutral. I have tried using electronic switches, not dimmers, and I have found a problem with shimmer when on, the bulb and switch don't match and some interaction between the two. So ended up swapping bulbs lamp to lamp to stop it.

Simple method is the smart bulb, one thing is many when switched off return to default, which is full on, so next day turning on light it turns on full. Not all do that.

I got a set of GU10 lamps from Lidi with a dimmer remote control the latter handy as would work with other zigbee bulbs, but the lamps now in my bedroom I find I rarely dim, and I do wonder why I bothered.

Hi there. I have a really old type of Dimmer switch that I have had for such a long time. My light bulb has blown out and needs replacing. I want to order one from Amazon. Will this one be fine or will I face issues? I want the bulb to be suitable because I can’t get an LED one because I tried using an Led and it flickered!

I upgraded my low wattage dimmable LED's, to higher wattage ones. The original LED's had worked fine on the very old dimmers, but not the new ones they flickered, so I bought some new dimmers. The new dimmers with the new LED lamps work fine. Here is the thread....

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/lumilife-dimmable-led-and-dimmers.582275/#post-5107556

A 105 watt quartz lamp is not really comparable with a 7.3 watt LED. 1900 lumen for the quartz to 806 lumen for LED does not really match.

You can get high output LED bulbs but spec says "Dimming? Non-Dimmable" so to find a high output bulb which will also dim not so easy.

In the main 806 lumen for a BA22d bulb seems to be a standard, Screwfix do one at 1521 lumen and again Non-Dimmable.

So it seems either quartz or non dimming, but big question is 806 lumen enough? If so then loads of options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back