Old Dimmer switch

Just an update. I got a dimmer switch and led bulb (dimmer) and it worked! Doesn’t flicker, hopefully it stays like this. Thanks for everyones advice

Sponsored Links
So...where exactly was the neutral in the switch then....still waiting

I put the new light dimmer switch and the LED light turns down suddenly, then brightens up. How come it does this eventhough I replaced the dimmer.

Sponsored Links
Incompatibility between that and the light. What is the minimum load quoted for the dimmer? What is the load of the LED?

I put the new light dimmer switch and the LED light turns down suddenly, then brightens up. How come it does this eventhough I replaced the dimmer.

Is that happening once it has settled, or only immediately after you have tweaked the light level setting?

I find my LED dimmers and dimmable lamps also react to the control adjustment rather strangely too, they seem to lag the actual adjustment little. It can be a little disconcerting at first, but you get used to it. My lamps would also give a brief flash off every few minutes, that mostly seemed to cure itself, or rather restrict itself to one brief flash per evening. Lights flickering - I originally learnt to take notice of, because they would often be a predecessor to there being a loss of power.

Is that happening once it has settled, or only immediately after you have tweaked the light level setting?

I find my LED dimmers and dimmable lamps also react to the control adjustment rather strangely too, they seem to lag the actual adjustment little. It can be a little disconcerting at first, but you get used to it. My lamps would also give a brief flash off every few minutes, that mostly seemed to cure itself, or rather restrict itself to one brief flash per evening. Lights flickering - I originally learnt to take notice of, because they would often be a predecessor to there being a loss of power.
It happens after a while once it is settled. So say if I turn it to the max setting, after a while, it starts to dim, then starts to go a bit bright, then dim. Its a cycle.

Incompatibility between that and the light. What is the minimum load quoted for the dimmer? What is the load of the LED?
Check out these pictures:
3830AE50-7F8D-4D42-A53C-37C7B29B73A8.png
E0EDE980-C826-4693-99BD-3D71523C9039.png
9732FEFF-7E7F-465C-96B4-97D2D454360A.png

It happens after a while once it is settled. So say if I turn it to the max setting, after a while, it starts to dim, then starts to go a bit bright, then dim. Its a cycle.

It could be an incompatibility of the lamps or the switches, or even a bit of both. I would favour the switches being the cause, so I would suggest returning them to Wickes and trying the ones I used or or that flameport recommended.

That will make their normal use fairly hopeless. I wonder if the positive or negative switching might be the cause - your switch spec. makes no mention of it at all. I'm no expert and it's a bit of a minefield anyway, but... Some (somehow) autoswitch to use the best polarity, I understand others need to be configured. The switches I bought from SF are described as autoswitching. They work fine all the way from full bright, to far too dim to be any use at all. There is no regular problem of flicker at all, apart from maybe one flicker per evening which doesn't cause a problem at all, now we are used to it and it is barely noticeable.

It could be an incompatibility of the lamps or the switches, or even a bit of both. I would favour the switches being the cause, so I would suggest returning them to Wickes and trying the ones I used or or that flameport recommended.

That will make their normal use fairly hopeless. I wonder if the positive or negative switching might be the cause - your switch spec. makes no mention of it at all. I'm no expert and it's a bit of a minefield anyway, but... Some (somehow) autoswitch to use the best polarity, I understand others need to be configured. The switches I bought from SF are described as autoswitching. They work fine all the way from full bright, to far too dim to be any use at all. There is no regular problem of flicker at all, apart from maybe one flicker per evening which doesn't cause a problem at all, now we are used to it and it is barely noticeable.
Should I try these bulbs? They are halogen bulbs which I had previously but it blew out? Do they think they will work fine?
A9FC8F02-B3BE-4F30-A96F-88133CB0ED26.jpeg

They are halogen bulbs which I had previously but it blew out? Do they think they will work fine?
They will work, and use 10x more electricity while doing so.
When they fail, the dimmer will be destroyed.
They are also expensive to buy, won't last long, and are not 'eco' or 'energy saving' despite being labelled as such.

The era of incandescent and halogen lamps is over.
All that's left now is what certain places hoarded so they can sell them at inflated prices to people who are obsessed about not having LED lighting.

43BE4001-9994-42E7-9440-86E36348DF74.jpeg
They will work, and use 10x more electricity while doing so.
When they fail, the dimmer will be destroyed.
They are also expensive to buy, won't last long, and are not 'eco' or 'energy saving' despite being labelled as such.

The era of incandescent and halogen lamps is over.
All that's left now is what certain places hoarded so they can sell them at inflated prices to people who are obsessed about not having LED lighting.
Thanks for the advice mate! Will most likely purchase those 2 that you sent me. The ones from Toolstation.

How about this light bulb with the new dimmer I installed a few days ago. Will it work fine and how about the electricity usage?

image.jpg
Would this dimmer be perfect for any LED bulbs. Its from Amazon. I found it cheaper than on Screwfix? I have attached an LED bulb which I purchased from wickes. Will this work fine with the following dimmer switch?
9150E0E1-D58E-4122-96D0-405CFF4E016A.jpeg

Just buy yourself a dimmer as you were recommended to do by both of us and they certainly should then work properly. If not, then you send the LED lamps back and say they will not dim satisfactorily.

Halogens will certainly work with any dimmer, but you pay for that in 10x as much wasted as heat energy and a lot more in regular replacements - LED's will last many times longer and in the future will be able to get replacements. That latter is not true of halogen lamps.

Just buy yourself a dimmer as you were recommended to do by both of us and they certainly should then work properly. If not, then you send the LED lamps back and say they will not dim satisfactorily.

Halogens will certainly work with any dimmer, but you pay for that in 10x as much wasted as heat energy and a lot more in regular replacements - LED's will last many times longer and in the future will be able to get replacements. That latter is not true of halogen lamps.
That dimmer above as shown at Amazon is the same as the one you lot provided via the link. So I will purchase that dimmer and it should work work the Led light I already have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back