Old electrics with no earth? with/PIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has just bought an old council flat with some weird electrics. There doesn't even appear to be a way to earth his sockets?

Does he need a total rewire?

weirdelectrics.jpg

Simon.

Sponsored Links
The funny cable you can see feeding the socket is "pyro"

in plain english i a solid copper cable*, that uses the outer sheath for earth, but there is nothing connected to the outer sheath, the insulation for the cores is not marked, .......yahdy yahdy yah

the question is if just one socket is like this, what is the rest like. Pyro itself lasts a lifetime, but in this example its not right, best get a PIR done, or just go ahead and get a complete rewire

Yes i know, but i did say plain english

Here's another socket if it helps:

weirdelectrics2.jpg

My friend has bought this old property as an investment to let to students and asked me to take a look at it. He's been advised for a total rewire. Currently the wires just round around the house clipped to the top of the skirting.

Simon.

again no earth (yes there is a wire connecting the socket to the back box, but that's all)

Also as the picture you have added has 2 pyros, it would imply sockets are on a radial.

a rewire would be best

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone go to the trouble of using pyro then make such a ****ing mess of it?

Pyro is an expensive method, and there is a way of using this copper-covered cable safely, by terminating it in metal boxes with a special gland. It looks to me as if the white plastic boxes are quite new, I wonder if someone "renovated" the flat and took the origanal fittings off, thus loosing the proper earthing?

Or maybe found a coil of pyro in a skip?

But shouldn't there be part of the gland on the cable, kept captive by the pyro pot, unless when someone 'renovated' they cut it off because they didn't need it ... :rolleyes:

try and find a sparky thats happy to work with pyro (some hate the stuff) and if the pyro tests out ok (e.g. damp hasn't got in) then i'd be inclined to keep it both because that would reduce disruption and because pyro is liable to last longer than PVC T&E ever will

any points that are like that will need reterminating to metal boxes.

Does he need a rewire?

Yes he does. The existing is very unsafe, no knowing what other calamities the last person perpetrated, they obviously had no idea.

As it's surface-clipped it will be easier to put in new than try to repair the old (and those old cables have probably absorbed moisture).

sorry my mistake I thought the ends had just been cut off. You're right, it's clear in the first pic.

It's a shameful installation, isn't it?

Its retro fit I think - some DIYer has changed the sockets at some time from the correctly done originals.

There are no glands used in the pics - to terminate to a standard metal box with 20mm knockouts, glands would be needed, and to put these on, you would need to remove the pot, put the gland on, and then re-pot. Time consuming.

They do some boxes with 'pot' clamps, these clamp over the pot to provide the earth continuity.

Point of notice - DANGEROUS. Your pots to not look like they earth from one cable to the next. This means only the first (if even that one) is earthed - the rest will be unearthed, and could therefore be at mains potential, or near to it if any of the pots have been done badly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back