Old felt DCP above window question

Poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just measuring a window for placing the order and I noticed that the cavity has a bitumen felt drip tray as many old houses do.

It is clearing falling apart and needs something better in its placed.

It looks as though a large gap has been left above the window and the felt comes under the angle iron lintel on the outer leaf and is left sat onto of the full width of the window.

Effectively the entire length of cross the to of the window is a continuous weep vent.

My question is is there something better I can do here so that I can fully seal the window without making it into a bigger job than it needs to be.

Or is it a case of sticking some new DPC in there to replace the old and leave it the same?

Hard to get a photo but I tried.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_091446.jpg
    IMG_20221201_091446.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221201_091437.jpg
    IMG_20221201_091437.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
No work required except cut the flaky/overhang off and seal any gap with mastic if you like.

The cavity tray will still perform

Thanks woody,
As I'm replacing the window I'll put some extra DPC under the old as it looks like it is breaking down, just to be safe.
So then once the new windows in just fully seal it and the felt will direct any water to the front leaf and find it's own way out then.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Most likely but it's one of those peace of mind things.
I wouldn't bet on the old tray, bricked up a side window a few years back and the felt tray had rotten and had rips and holes all over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back