Old House, wobbly floor, where to start?!

aaj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=dnkyejUxbkZHMHNudm1fc1NFN3E3a0RZR3N4VlFB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=dnkyejUxbkZHMHNudm1fc1NFN3E3a0RZR3N4VlFB

OK, so I've gone and bought my first flat. It's old (100 years or so) and everything needs renovation. To start with I need to make the floor look nice. Previously, the owner had some plastic laminate and it was crap and springy where the floor was not flat underneath. I took the laminate up and there are the old tiles from yesteryear. The floor is a little bouncy and uneven (dips and gradients). There are loose and broken tiles.

So, I have little money (because I just spent it all on the mortgage deposit) and need the cheapest option to get something done that is at the same time going to look good. The tiles are in a deep screed and I've not dug down to the floorboards yet to see how deep the screed is. it's bounded by a wooden perimeter, so lets hope it's only 2" thick max.

What do I do? If anyone can give me opinions on possible solution that ends up in either tile (preferably) or wood laminate flooring, possibly with underfloor heating (the apartment has horrible, child-unfriendly convection heaters).

Please help

Adrian.

Sponsored Links
is the floor (not the flooring) wood or concrete?

I am guessing it's wood, because walking heavily makes everything vibrate. It's quite an old block of flats 4 story, 8 flats + shop. All floors are tiles and I've not dug down far enough to get to the wood. Some rooms have quite a rake, some like the hallway pictured have dips. So I'm just assuming it's wood.

Ideally, I need options that don't involve removing all tiles and screed. I was wondering if I measured how far down to the wood, could I screw down into it through the tiles and screed and into the original floor boards?

Someone, who had a quick look (not a floor expert) said "remove broken tiles and tile over the top". The bathroom and kitchen has been tiled over the top with small tiles. I wanted tiles a little larger then brick size tiles though. It doesn't have to have massive tiles; 30cm tiles would be fine.

As it's an apartment, I can't rip everything up and start again. Removing everything including the joists would solve it. But I don't have that option.

Last edited:
is there a cellar below you?
nothing will work out unless you sort out why the floor vibrates and slopes and dips.
sounds like the joists need attention.

laying some underlay and a sheet vinyl floor cover will give you breathing space but not a long term solution.

what did the mortgage surveyors report say about the floor or any damp conditions?

Sponsored Links
I am on the 3rd floor. There is an apartment below ...so I need to be careful. The apartment below has a dropped ceiling, so there is no easy access to view the floor from below. There is no damp, but I've no comment about quality of joists. I have some ideas:

1) remove broken/loose tiles. tile over top
2) remove all tiles, level with self levelling compound, tile
3) screw tile-board into tiles/screed/wooden edges, level and tile
4) remove all tiles, level with self levelling compound, screw/glue tile-board into screed/wooden edges and tile
5) level dips, underlay/insulation and fit laminate flooring

Now the interesting thing is, the apartment under mine has been renovated. Unfortunately, it's an air b'n'b and I've been unable to speak to the owner/business or even (I've tried) see inside. I have only seen photos and it has large floor tiles. So they have cracked it.

The thing I can't see myself (+ builder) doing is removing back to the original floor. I think that would just take too much time/money.

It would be nicer if the floor could be strengthened. If I could easily screw into the original floor I'd prefer to add a layer of plywood or tile board. That would help prevent the springiness. I think that in the living room I'll use wood laminate. But I'm looking to do this in stages (years) starting with the hallway. The hallway really needs to be tiled and not have wood.

I am wondering if 4) above would work IF I could glue the tile board to the levelled floor. But, I guess the fact the floor springs will break the glue after the glue has hardened. This would leave the tile board floating. ... just thinking aloud.

A.

if you cant or dont want to get at the joists then stay away from tile period.
if called to do a job like yours we wouldnt touch it unless the whole old floor was lifted.
youve still not mentioned what was in the mortgagereport?

youve still not mentioned what was in the mortgagereport?​

The survey did not mention the floor specifically. There is/was no damp and everything else is OK - no subsidence, no asbestos, no lead paint, electric OK, water OK etc. It's all solid, except for the floors being uneven and bouncy in larger rooms.

My guess is that the floor is old and never had enough joists in the first place. The apartment is the cheapest build in the street. I am also guessing that the original tiles are small to allow for movement. I wish I knew how the apartment underneath was repaired.

Its difficult to see, But I grabbed 2 photos of the apartment below, quite a transformation!

Somehow they've got large tiles in the hallway and living area. I think digging everything up and strengthening the joists would be very expensive.

I only need to tile hallway (original photo), kitchen, bathroom and 1 bedroom. Maybe the hallway has very little load, so adding weight to the floor is OK ... The kitchen is small and already has tiles over the top. The 2nd hallway is also tiny and also has tiles over the top. The master bedroom will in future have more weight because I'm going to add a bath. This may be the only room I'll think about strengthening the joists. I'm saying this as I may have more money in say 5 years time.

Actually, what I have not asked it just how much effort is involved in removing the tiles and screed. Say I have a room 4x5m and assuming the screed is pretty think, say 3cm. Just how long would it take to remove? What danger would there be to the apartment below?

A.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back