Old 'leccy board meters

Funny you say that FWL.

When we had the full structural survey done last year it was recommended to get a proper sparky in to check it out.

Everything seems to work fine but some things have alerted me to a DIY job here.

E.g. The alarm box appears to be wired in to the lighting circuit as I found out when a bulb blew and knocked the lights off and also the key panel so I couldnt see the numbers to key in!

I need more plugs in my front room and a bit of power near the front porch for lighting but the problem I have got is that I have laminate flooring and don't want to pull it up to get under the boards. When I get this done I will probably get a full safety check done too.

Sponsored Links
and the computer techie's friend too.

I had to go and buy Wi-Fi network cards as the house is mainly laminate floor or stone flooring in the kitchen and where there is carpet it is that foam backed stuff that is glued to the floor.

Totally messed up my CAT5 phone & network plans!

ban-all-sheds said:
Ah - laminate flooring - the sparky's friend....

I predict that laminate flooring will be the noughties equivalent of stone cladding, hardboarding over panel doors, replacing sashes with non-opening uPVC and the excessive use of MDF a la Laurence-L-B.

What other recent style travesties spring to mind?

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
What other recent style travesties spring to mind?

Polystyene ceiling tiles are still sold..they are a travesty, as are glued down carpet tiles in hallways, decorative, and unremovable without damaging bath panels...I could go on, but I'll let someone else have a turn :D

I was going to suggest that this topic needs a whole new thread but, on second thoughts, what it probably needs is an entire forum to itself!

dingbat said:
I was going to suggest that this topic needs a whole new thread but, on second thoughts, what it probably needs is an entire forum to itself!

Your not a fan of the aformentioned Roger LB then?

prodigymad said:
Totally messed up my CAT5 phone & network plans!

You could do what I did in my wood-laminated bedroom: replace the quadrant with trunking. OK, so it doesn't look as nice as a bit of wood around the edge of the room but it hides the expansion gap and gives you room for cabling.

When I buy my second place I will be checking EVERYTHING with a fine toothcomb before putting in an offer, lessons learned from my first place will come to play here. Construction methods can also play havoc with plans for networking and AV wiring, some places have a concrete slab floor and a concrete slab ceiling!

Glad for the tip-off on Protec, I will have to note down all these details for CU, boiler, bathroom suite brand etc. and ensure that none of it can be bought at Wickes or B&Q! Whilst I love doing DIY I am aware that some people do questionnable things in their own places (I know a gimp who bought a bodged-up house and in 2 years has succeeded in making it even worse!). Don't want to take the risk with anything that can burn, burst, soak or zap. :D You only have to try turning the handle on 95% of DIY'd internal doors to see that DIY can be a bit half-a**ed at times.

securespark said:
Part number PK MCB 1102B from QVS (qvsdirect.co.uk) at £3.45 + dreaded.

Not seen them in Wickes (although they may be there) but QVS counters and mail-order catalogue do loads of Protek gear.

AdamW said:
You could do what I did in my wood-laminated bedroom: replace the quadrant with trunking. OK, so it doesn't look as nice as a bit of wood around the edge of the room but it hides the expansion gap and gives you room for cabling.
Why not use wooden trunking?

Or some of that skirting board that has channels on the rear side to take cables?

dingbat said:
what other recent style travesties spring to mind?
How long have you got?

Fake leaded windows.
Replacing those lovely (if immensely troublesome) curved metal windows with flat ones.
Concrete driveways embossed to "look like" paviers or cobbles.
Presure treated softwood decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back