Old supply - Worth getting the DNO to have a look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new place which has this ancient looking supply cable (see pics) in the cellar.

Is anyone able to identify the cable type? Maybe hessian wrapped PILC? Is it worth getting the DNO to see if it is safe / needs upgrading?

I wonder if it is 2 phase as there are 2 100A fuses as well.

Cheers
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old but looks fine to me, the hessian and the steel tape are showing their age but the underlying lead is the important bit and the bit we can see looks fine.

The type of earthing clamp is not the best.

As for the 2 fuses it could be a barred cutout with a short busbar connecting the two together, hard to tell in the pictures.

If a barred unit probable a 2c.0225

Westie, would it be an idea to get a Ze test done?

I have experienced high Ze readings on this type of cable, or is it rare for the earth to break down on these cables?

Westie, would it be an idea to get a Ze test done?

Wouldn't do any harm, the lead provides the earth and it can crack often just below the cutout. also it is not unknown for it to fail within some types of joint in the street

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't do any harm, the lead provides the earth and it can crack often just below the cutout. also it is not unknown for it to fail within some types of joint in the street

Sorry to interrupt, but if I want to have a Ze test done on my house, should I ask the DNO or could any qualified electrician do it?
How much is it likely to cost?

Any electrician.

The Earthing Conductor must be disconnected so the supply has to be turned off.

Just a call-out charge I would think. It doesn't take long (after emptying the cupboard :))

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Some really useful info here thanks guys.

Guess I will get out a suitable person to check it out. I was hoping to get it cleaned up or boxed in somehow as I'm turning the space into a usable area, so I want to make sure it's fully safe.

Cheers,
Phil

I seem to find a couple of supplies a year with failed earths. Nearly always PILC supplies, so definately worth having the Ze test done, but other than that, as others have mentioned it looks alright.

Any electrician.

Just a call-out charge I would think. It doesn't take long (after emptying the cupboard :))

Thank you. So no need to remove all the earth bondings then?

Thank you. So no need to remove all the earth bondings then?
No, not individually. As EFLI says, the main earthing conductor has to be disconnected from your Main Earthing Terminal (and the Ze test undertaken on that conductor), and disconnecting it from the MET also disconnects it from any/all bonding conductors.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back