Old well-loved lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an second-hand gigantic standing lamp for my living room that I recently took apart to clean and re-spray a pretty black.

But looking again at the socket, should I even be bothering? It's kind of missing an earth wire, and not exactly sure what i'm looking for but there is no indication it's "double walled" wiring ?

Has someone re-wired this themselves or am I missing something ....

This is for a UK 3 pin plug

(Never posted here before so bare with and thanks for any help)

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_190411.jpg
    IMG_20210514_190411.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210514_190425.jpg
    IMG_20210514_190425.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
Looking at the foot switch and cable, this lamp isn't designed to have an earth.
Make the plug connections better though by shortening the wires so the cord grip clamp works.
John :)

should I even be bothering?

Absolutely !!
If you can still love and use it then go for it, refresh it and return it to the use that it was designed for - giving you light.

Brilliant news as I've already spray-painted half of it ! So chuffed :) Will get some wire cutters tomorrow ...

Sponsored Links
Looking at the foot switch and cable, this lamp isn't designed to have an earth.
Make the plug connections better though by shortening the wires so the cord grip clamp works.

So not all sockets *need* an earth?

So not all sockets *need* an earth?

The need for an earth has nothing to do with the socket - it is more to do with the appliance you are plugging in to the socket. A double insulated item is fine to connect without an earth, the symbol for which is a square within a square marked on the item. Judging by the switch in your photo, your light will pre-date all of that.

Basic idea is if there are large contactable metal parts in the standard lamp they should be earthed - long ago it was acceptable for them not to be. Are there any suck metal parts on this item?

Some appliances are double insulated which means that there is nothing electrically conductive that can be touched by the individual.....this is marked by a two squared symbol, one square inside another.
You should find that the bulb holder is plastic, unlike the brass type of old!
Continue to use the 3 amp fuse for maximum protection.

Basic idea is if there are large contactable metal parts in the standard lamp they should be earthed - long ago it was acceptable for them not to be.
The real requirement is not whether there is a lot of metal, but whether that metal is double insulated from the live connections. Though some may feel safer if it is earthed.

The real requirement is not whether there is a lot of metal, but whether that metal is double insulated from the live connections. Though some may feel safer if it is earthed.

Which on a lamp of what I assume of that age, is unlikely, besides which if it lacks the symbol - it needs to be earthed.

Double insulated symbol is missing as far as I can see.

Definitely large metal bits that touch on the lamp as it's entirely constructed from metal poles and suspension coils.

Can confirm the bulb sits in a plastic seating not brass !

Thanks for everyone's input so far

The electrical information sticker is often wrapped around the cable.
The lamp and switch looks fairly typical IKEA!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back