Old wiring on new CU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new CU installed for part refurb, its larger then needed so once the second part of the house is refurbed in a few years, i can (hopefully) go back to a single consumer unit instead of the three i have now.

Meanwhile, two of the old units are kind of in the way, and im wandering if i can get someone to do the following or if its a complete no - no: (Getting someone in isnt a problem, knowing that they can/can not make the change is what i want to know before i waste someones time coming to have a look and give me a price).

Test the remaining circuits (4) for continuity and IR, crossed wiring etc from the consumer unit side, and assuming all is ok, get all the cables in accessories/cu ringed in blue/brown so that the original wiring can remain, ie marked as blue/brown instead of red/black?

If that's possible i can get rid of two old consumer units and get my tumble dryer comfortably where it will go rather then it currently sitting in my living room.

Sponsored Links
You can of course have the circuits tested if you wish.

It doesn't matter what colour the sleeving or the original wiring is.

Wiring can be mixed, blue/brown & red/black. All it needs is a sticker on the consumer unit. Like this
TLLAB49.JPG

PS, are all three consumer units on a 24-hour supply or is one of them off-peak?

I like what I'm hearing, now just need to got hold of a spark that is willing to do that rather then push for a full rewire.

Historically the two cu's were possibly on peak/off peak as it had an eco 7 meter, but since I've owned the property, everything has been on and off at the same time, and I've had the meter changed to single rate now.

I don't have elec heaters, or storage units. Only thing I have is hot water tank, and. Eco 7 didn't suit my life to make it worth pursuing.
Third cu came in for extension and ground floor refurbished but the spark didn't want to touch the upstairs wiring unless he was rewiring.

Sponsored Links
All it needs is a sticker on the consumer unit.

That sticker makes me laugh. Anyone who is opening a CU or DB would already know that, and anyone who doesn't, shouldn't be opening it! It should say something like...

"This box contains dangerous and scary wires and volts, don't f*** with it if you don't know what you're doing, it could kill you."

Also TTC, I thought that sticker was only required on commercial/industrial, and not needed for domestic?

Gaz :)

Two wiring colours are not always present at the consumer unit, there can be alteration downstream of circuits terminated at the CU. But I have to agree, do not see the reasoning behind it on single phase supply, those in the know will quickly be able to establish what the conductors functions are.

That sticker makes me laugh. Anyone who is opening a CU or DB would already know that, and anyone who doesn't, shouldn't be opening it!

I think they're imagining someone in 50 years time, when red+black wiring is ancient history....

Test the remaining circuits (4) for continuity and IR, crossed wiring etc from the consumer unit side, and assuming all is ok, get all the cables in accessories/cu ringed in blue/brown so that the original wiring can remain, ie marked as blue/brown instead of red/black?
As said, you don't need to re-identify the cables. But what you are suggesting is standard practice any time someone has the CU changed. So really, unless there is a problem with a circuit, there's no reason not to just put your new CU in and connect the existing circuits to it, and then get one with the rest of the job.

That sticker makes me laugh. Anyone who is opening a CU or DB would already know that, and anyone who doesn't, shouldn't be opening it! It should say something like...

"This box contains dangerous and scary wires and volts, don't f*** with it if you don't know what you're doing, it could kill you."

Also TTC, I thought that sticker was only required on commercial/industrial, and not needed for domestic?

Gaz :)

It was a BS7671 requirement, 514.14.1 last time I looked. It doesn't say not to bother if its domestic.
Your friendly NICEIC assessor will pull you up on it if it's not there.

I prefer your updated warning! There's also the one about testing RCDs that goes into an essay written by an engineer. That one should just say "hit the blue button every 3 months and make sure it clicks off"

Yes, it's strange, isn't it?

Who is the sign meant to warn?

Electricians? Not really necessary.

Householders? Then there would seem to be more important issues.

Yes, it's strange, isn't it?

Who is the sign meant to warn?
Anyone and everyone.

It is an admission that mixing colours creates hazards that would not exist if colours were not mixed, and therefore shows that if it is reasonable for you to do so then the law requires that you maintain the use of red/black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back