Old wiring

Looking at the pics, I am still sure they are not rubber, but will ask the electrician to verify. Will young sparky's (25 years old) no about such old things???
One would certainly hope so, but .... :) If you specifically ask the question, presumably (s)he will take steps to find out, if they don't already know!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is the earth in the socket circuit part of the cable or separate and uninsulated?

Are the sockets on radials or rings?

Having had rubber insulation disintegrate on me I would change it. It does not show signs of wear until you move it and then it is too late.

Had a full survey done yesterday.

Sockets and bonding are fine. Lighting does need a rewire as no earth (as suspected) and some of the upstairs lighting is in a state due to previous owners bad DIY.

Getting a quote later but should be some way less than the £7200 quoted by the first sparky.

The sockets look to have conduits so hopefully get away with a bit of chasing through the ceilings and no damage to the floor

Had a full survey done yesterday. ... Sockets and bonding are fine. Lighting does need a rewire as no earth (as suspected) and some of the upstairs lighting is in a state due to previous owners bad DIY. ... Getting a quote later but should be some way less than the £7200 quoted by the first sparky.
That's good to hear - and roughly what we were expecting/hoping.
The sockets look to have conduits so hopefully get away with a bit of chasing through the ceilings and no damage to the floor
Do you mean "sockets"? Per the above, it doesn't sound as if any re-wiring of the sockets will be necessary - or am I misunderstanding?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry, meant light switches seem to have conduits so the electrician was hopeful that he wouldn't have to damage the walls.

The 2 areas of ceiling that will need chasing are both in need of a replaster anyway so not overly bothered about them.

As long as it isn't too costly then I might even be able to afford the plaster too!!!!

He thinks he can do the lot in 2 days. Sounds quicker than I expected

Sorry, meant light switches seem to have conduits so the electrician was hopeful that he wouldn't have to damage the walls.
Thanks for clarifying - that makes more sense!
The 2 areas of ceiling that will need chasing are both in need of a replaster anyway so not overly bothered about them.
One doesn't normally 'chase' ceilings (usually couldn't) - I suspect you are just talking about damage to ceilings.

Kind Regards, John

He said it was possible to reach the wiring for the ground floor ceiling lights via the ceiling instead of ripping up the floor on the 1st floor landing

He said it was possible to reach the wiring for the ground floor ceiling lights via the ceiling instead of ripping up the floor on the 1st floor landing
Indeed, and that will presumably involve making some holes in the ceilings to gain access to that wiring - but that's not the same as 'chasing' (which is cutting a channel into a wall or floor in which to put a cable).

Kind Regards, John

Ah that sounds good, so maybe not as destructive as first feared

Thank you for all your advice on this John. Always difficult when you know nothing about a subject and electricity is not one where you can learn from your mistakes

Ah that sounds good, so maybe not as destructive as first feared. ... Thank you for all your advice on this John. Always difficult when you know nothing about a subject and electricity is not one where you can learn from your mistakes
You're welcome. We all learn from our mistakes but, as you imply, with things like electricity one needs to try to ensure that one doesn't make any serious ones!

Kind Regards, John

Been quoted £1500 for the rewire of lights and switches (4 beds). The quote also includes some extra work such as external lights and a bathroom extractor.

Sound about right?

Not that you will read or reply to this, but one way of fishing wires across a downstairs ceiling is to run the cables that can't be fished in coving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back