One for the DNO folks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quickie. Someone asked me today; what is the largest 400v supply that the DNO will offer before insisting on a direct 11/33kV connection with to the ring with on-site customer transformer/switchgear? I don't know the answer, and I suspect the question may be a little too general to give a specific answer, but if anyone has answers that I could pass on then it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Also, does anyone think the topic views counter is broken? This has only been on here 10 minutes and apparently already viewed 1097 times...

Answered my own question - the Central Networks site informs me that anything up to 275kVA is possible on CT metering, anything in excess of this will be part of the high voltage network.

It depends on many factors, including the distance to local transformer substation, its capacity, and whether the existing network can cope with it.

I once saw a dedicated cable being laid from the substation to a new block of flats, but the distance was only just over one hundred yards. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hello Matthew, yes. your question is a little too general for a specific repy...

During my long stay with LEB, we often set the limit at 300A per phase for 3ph, LV cutouts. But during a shorter time with the EEB the limit was set at 200A per phase. In either case, it was subject to the main feeder cable's ability to handle the load along with the other local loads.

Lucia.

We maintain a site with a 552kVa supply which is supplied by a dedicated DNO sub.

We do some work on a site which has private subs around the site, with private 11kv switch gear.............the maintenance of which is contracted out the DNO :LOL:

I have also worked on a site with a 1200amp TP incomer - Thats 828kVa. Again, DNO ownered and operated sub and supply.

The more I think, the more I recall.

Here is a 500amp TP supply on an old site, replaced by an 800amp TP supply not so long ago. All DNO installed and operated.

Grey chamber in center is the incomer, green cabs to left are CT metering and documents, green MCCB board to right is a good old Ottermill.

1271521051.jpg

I seem to remember that 600A was the biggest LV supply that a local REC would supply from their LV network.
Our old place needed 4-5 MW and was supplied via 6 off 1000kVA Tx's.
Most medium size industries will have 11kV on site whether it be their own or the REC's switchgear. Some heavy industries transform from 33 or even 132kV

This is a TP 1200amp supply from a dedicated sub. It is DNO owned and installed.

The galv conduit carries a pair of 2.5mm singles which are switched by the DNO volt free terminals in the customer accessible box on the side of the CT chamber. They are used to switch the contactor for the OP heating in the offices. Only switches immersion heaters and toilet heaters now, most of the storage rads have gone to make way for air con.

1271521695.jpg

we used to have 2 800 amp supplies fed from a transfomer which also fed local distribution

Thanks chaps. It looks as if larger supplies may be possible, but on the site of the DNO for the area concerned, they state in black and white that 275kVA is the largest they will run for a new supply. I'll advise that they need to contact the DNO themselves for a more specific answer.

275kVA is the largest they will run for a new supply.
Sounds about right, they wouldn't want you to use up all their spare capcity now, you they?!

I'll advise that they need to contact the DNO themselves for a more specific answer.
Yes, it will depend on the engineer doing the quote, the spare capacity on the system, and the DNO's own guidelines.

Sometimes the DNO might insist on giving you a substation just because there isn't the capacity there on their 400V network. This is costly, but you really have no choice!

I recently however managed to procure a 200kVA supply at 400V where the DNO had originally insisted on a substation. We couldn't give them the land for this, so I convinced the engineer to quote for upgrading one of their existing subs. It was costly (60% extra!) but just lets you know it's possible.

Im not sure about the agreed capacity, but I know for a fact that we install many twin 500kva transformer substations for large consumers that are fed via 4 fuseways each fuseway having 3 x 315 or 400A HRC fuses. Anything above that then im pretty sure Scot-Power insist on a HV supply.

sounds like a case for batman and robin.... but they seem very quiet tonight... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back