One I pulled out yesterday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I'm at it did someone recently want some fuse carriers?
upload_2020-10-9_10-55-52.png

So nice to see common sense.

Sponsored Links
Twisting the armour must have taken some doing - I wonder how many holes he had in his fingers!

Going in the bin on Tuesday unless wanted by anyone
upload_2020-10-9_11-7-34.png

Sponsored Links
It's only mild steel, pair of pliers and decent cutters...

I just tried it on a piece of 6mm², 6 strands at a time. OK, I didn't damage my fingers, but I wouldn't say it's that easy. Certainly harder and much slower that fitting a normal SWA gland.

Hmmm.

Also, unless it's an optical illusion, one of the bits of (bare) twisted armour looks to be frighteningly close to the neutral block.

Kind Regards, John
The yellow earth wire clears the neutral by a good 1/4" and the armour is clear behind that so more than 1/2".

I just tried it on a piece of 6mm², 6 strands at a time. OK, I didn't damage my fingers, but I wouldn't say it's that easy. Certainly harder and much slower that fitting a normal SWA gland.
And done what with the gland, put it into an unnecessary metal box?
As it happens the space for such a design wasn't there and it would have ended up in the room next door.

And done what with the gland, put it into an unnecessary metal box?
As it happens the space for such a design wasn't there and it would have ended up in the room next door.

I wasn't suggesting that he could or should have used a gland. I was just observing that a gland is easier to use.

I was just observing that a gland is easier to use.
Something I couldn't agree more with. But then the the effort to make the gland work in this situation is very likely more work than what was done.

Why does it have 2 earth bars ?
To accomodate the armour and a number of additional bonding wires.
FWIW it took 3 minutes and 4 seconds to get to this on the other end of the offcut. Wifes out in the car so I've not got appropriate cutters to hand to trim the ends
upload_2020-10-9_16-17-50.png

This is an older 16mm² cable

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-9_16-14-9.png
    upload_2020-10-9_16-14-9.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back