Opening a PIR for inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to open and check the voltage on my PIR. It's a DT connected to a texecom system.
Q. will it activate the alarm when I open the cover of the PIR and probe the terminals with my multimeter? If yes, how do I approach this task please?

Sponsored Links
I would like to open and check the voltage on my PIR. It's a DT connected to a texecom system.
Q. will it activate the alarm when I open the cover of the PIR and probe the terminals with my multimeter? If yes, how do I approach this task please?

Hi Jupiter01,

When you open the PIR its tamper switch will activate. The internal sounders of your control panel will sound. You will need to enter your code to silence the alarm. Once the PIR's cover is back in place, after testing, you can reset the alarm by pressing the reset button.

If you have the engineer's code, put the alarm into engineering mode. That way you can you can work on the PIR without the alarm sounding, if you want to.

Kind Regards,
Matt.

Simply

Open up PIR
Enter code
Probe and test with multimeter
Close PIR
Press Reset.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Matt W for the prompt response.
Would engineer mode trigger the alarm and need for code too?

Hi

With engineering mode you need the engineers code, which is different to the user code used to set and unset the alarm.

Whilst the alarm is in engineer mode you can access with PIR without the alarm sounding.

You would enter the engineers code before accessing the PIR. So when you open up the PIR, the alarm does not trigger.

After testing, you would exit engineers mode.

Matt

You have the engineer code, just get into engineering so it displays zone setup then you can look at the PIR without triggering the alarm.

There is a time out function for engineers mode, so as long as that isn't exceeded should be okay.

That worked a treat.
I measure 15vdc across positive and negative terminals. I held it for a while and there were no fluctuations.

Is this what you would expect and can I rule out voltage as a reason for false alarms?

That worked a treat.
I measure 15vdc across positive and negative terminals. I held it for a while and there were no fluctuations.

Is this what you would expect and can I rule out voltage as a reason for false alarms?

Hi

Generally, alarm movement detectors run on 9-15v DC. So It's safe to say voltage isn't the issue. However, voltage spikes from mains cable running parallel to alarm cable could be causing an issue.

How often and when are these false alarms happening?

Regards,
Matt.

I’ve had two false alarms in the last year. The DT PIR is in the garage. There are no windows in the garage. I’d appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I’ve had two false alarms in the last year. The DT PIR is in the garage. There are no windows in the garage. I’d appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Has the garage detector been the cause of both false alarms?

I can only think that possibly the microwave detection range is set too high and may be picking up movement outside the garage. But it doesn't explain why the PIR sensor would trigger aswell. Could be a faulty detector. Could be the wiring, a loose connection. Have you checked the wiring inside the panel?

I’ve got a Fluke two probe tester with voltage reading display. Thought they were supposed to be pretty good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back