Opening up back of the house... fully.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to look.

I've got a pretty average house, but I'm looking at some advice before I get quotes later this week.

Some background. North West (Warrington) The house was built in 1950's. I'll be fitting the kitchen etc myself (kitchen fitter/plumber)

I'd like the rear of the house opened up completely (if it's possible) and the kitchen diner changed from a 5m × 3.4m.... to 5m x 6.4m.

I'd like the extra 3×5 to be complete in glass, floor to ceiling. (Roof/left/rear) with the right hand wall being in brick, and the kitchen being extended across this wall.

I will be flooring/tiling/plastering/decorating it myself.

I've looked online and have see a guide of £1000-£1200 per sq/m for a single story extension.

Does this sound right, and most importantly is it likey possible to open up the rear of the house totally with no support?

Sorry about the picture. Rolf Harris I am not!

Any questions please ask, I've tried to include as much information as possible, but may have missed something obvious.

Attachments

• IMG-20161107-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20161107-WA0010.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 352
Sponsored Links
Is the house 2 story? What's it built of? Will the extension be 2 storey?

Converting an existing wall into a full width opening can be expensive due to new footings etc for goal posts steels etc.

Building an opening like that from scratch is much more straight forward.

However you still have to deal with the existing rear wall and getting a flush knock through with no nibs retained will need some engineering.

Last edited:
Any m2 build costs will not include the knocking through or internal alterations - which can cost several thousands alone.

Your idea is possible in principle. It's just down to the detail. And that detail can be very costly. So it comes down to whether the cost is worth it.

I've just done something similar but on a larger scale. Its major friggin work and you need a builder who is very good at structural work. Fortunately mine was, unfortunately he was sh*te at everything else. Think about the impact the steels will have on upstairs. Mine was approx 450 deep and it affects services etc.

Sponsored Links
If you want that much glass then your meterage value is well off. Structural glass and the design behind it is not cheap, you'll also have to get a sap done.

about 15m but the supports were T shaped with 3 goal posts. so the span was probably 11m.

i can dig out the structural paperwork work to get accurate sizes. but steels make soil pan connections and bathroom drainage a faff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back