Optima XM/Bell Box replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an Optima XM system and a cheap external bell box which has seen better days.

We're looking to switch over to a Ring system (as we currently have Ring camera eco system).

My questions are:
1) Would the Ring Siren hardwire directly into the old bell box wiring for power. I understand from the Optima manual that any 12V bell box works.
2) Is removal of the current bell box as simple as disconnecting it from the terminals in the alarm panel? My concern obviously is that as soon as I remove the alarm panel cover and/or bell box cover it will trigger the tamper alarm. I have codes to silence the alarm, but will the system continue to "work" without a bell box attached to it.
3) Would it be easier to decommission the whole alarm system and what does that entail?

I've picked up good advice from this forum before, so appreciate if this is a job for a qualified engineer you would tell me so!
Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Apologies, I should point out that the Ring Siren would obviously still need to be wired to the the terminal to receive power, but the tamper wiring would be disconnected. Hope that makes sense

Thought ring was wireless don’t fit ring and wouldn’t so can’t advise.

The manuals for ring should contain the information you require.

If ring is wireless then you need to decommission the old system first.

This may require a qualified engineer or electrician to remove the mains power safely.

Depending on the bell box it would determine on how it may be disabled, worst case it will be active until all power is removed including the bells back up battery if it has one.

Yeah Ring is wireless, but you can hardwire the external siren. There is no real need for me to hardwire tbh, except to save the hassle of changing the batteries every so often. The old bell box would have to go regardless though to make way, so there in lies my issue.

If it's just a case of I can remove the wiring for the bell box from the control panel and get rid, I'm happy to leave the old system still active and just have a battery powered external siren.

Sponsored Links
Like I say it should be in the ring manual on how to setup the ring system.

Sorry your saying the ring bell box can take power from a source but doesn’t wire back to ring control panel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back