Our local windmill restoration.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This was my local one, it's thought to be the oldest post mill in the UK

pitstone windmill lw.jpg

On my birthday too. I’m going to go up and watch this. :)

"BREAKING NEWS: CAP AND SAILS WILL BE INSTALLED ON UPMINSTER WINDMILL ON MONDAY!
We are delighted to announce that the cap and sails will be lifted into position on Monday 30 November 2020.
This is the culmination of four years’ intensive restoration work by our Dutch millwrights – Willem Dijkstra and Douwe Akkerman. The cap will be lifted with two sails attached.
The lifting of the cap will take place during the morning, probably between 10:00 and 12:00, though it could be an hour or so earlier. The remaining two sails will probably be installed in the afternoon. We will post updates on our Facebook Page from around 08:00 and throughout the day.
The field will be open to pedestrians though national guidelines still require that no more than two people meet outside. If you attend please maintain social distance. You may prefer to watch the whole event from the comfort of your home via our livestream webcam at http://www.upminsterwindmill.org/live-feed.html"

When my son went to Outwood, he came back with a sticker proclaiming it to be Britain's oldest. Lying bastards !

Over the years I've visited at least 10 churches and similar number of pubs all claiming to be the oldest in the country.

When my son went to Outwood, he came back with a sticker proclaiming it to be Britain's oldest. Lying bastards !

It might be. Pitstones claim is to be the oldest post mill in the British isles. A post mill is one where the body of the mill can rotated 360°

Sponsored Links
Back