Outbuilding - Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been granted planning permission to put up an outbuilding in the back of my garden. The size is 5m wide by 7m deep by 3m tall.

I plan to create 0.5m deep perimeter foundations and then pour a 0.2m deep slab over the top. I plan to build it out of brick and thermal block with a cavity. Total wall width will be ~330mm.

Therefore floorspace will be: ~27.5m2

I plan to use this outbuilding as a Storage/Gym/Games room and wish to run electricity to the outbuilding.

Will I need to notify building regulations? I did some research and found the following information:

Electricity
For electric side of things I have checked the planning portal and it says the following, which means that if I use a certified electrician I do not need to go through building regulations. Right?

If you are carrying out electrical installation work in your home or garden in England and Wales, you must comply with the rules in the Building Regulations. It is best to use an installer registered with a competent person scheme (a ‘registered competent person’) who can self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations.

Info Source: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/16/electrics/2

Construction work
By studying the requirements in the planning portal which I copy and pasted below I see the following:
  • My outbuilding WILL be between 15 and 30 square meters floor space.
  • My outbuilding WILL NOT have sleeping accommodation.
  • My outbuilding WILL be within 1 metre of boundary, BUT it will be constructed from non-combustible materials.
Therefore I pass the requirements to not have the building regulations apply?

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

Info Source:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

Sponsored Links
Just get an electrician to install the electrics and they can self certify

Yes. Exactly my understanding. But the building itself would not require any structural building regs inspection based on information I have read and included in my original post.

My confusion was when I called the Building Control office at my council. They said that any shed / outbuilding made from brick will need building regs... have they gone mad?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Exactly my understanding. But the building itself would not require any structural building regs inspection based on information I have read and included in my original post.

My confusion was when I called the Building Control office at my council. They said that any shed / outbuilding made from brick will need building regs... have they gone mad?
Yes, they have gone mad.
If your floor area is < 30 sq m (which it appears to be) and you are building in brick/block, then Building Regs do not apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back