Outdoor tap - Hot/Cold Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of getting an outdoor tap installed; plan A was just a cold water tap - Aberdeen weather quickly made me think of hot/cold water supply, so, looked at the B&Q webste, and this seems like it coudl work, using the hand shower outlet as the tap point to whcih I could connect a garden hose.

Is there any reason WHY I shouldn't use a bathroom mixer outdoors?. I'm guessing I can get checkvalves that can be installed in the feed lines to the mixer. Could there be isued with pipes freezing etc in winter?.

RIz

Sponsored Links
I guess you could use this system but I don't think you'd be very pleased with it...unless your hot water pressure is from a combi the pressure drop over a considerable length of hose would be high.
Better to use two bib cock taps, one to the cold supply (mains) and one for the hot (tank fed if possible). Use full bore isolators and double check valves.
John :)

I do have a Viessmann combi boiler, so the water pressure in both hot and cold should be pretty good.

The plumber is here and he is advocating just having 2 sets of valves (pair inside and a pair outside) and tee-ing into a tap would an integrated check valve.

DO you think that is better than a mixer solution?. If I do go the mixer way, you reckon there would be any issues with frezing etc?.

Thanks.
Riz

Why don't you just connect an outside tap (one what meets water regs) and connect it to the hot pipe, when you want cold water just turn your combi off ;)

Sponsored Links
Cos, hot only would give near enough burning hot water, and with the boiler off, cold gets numbingly cold, I thought the concept being a mixer tap, or mixing generally, were quite well understood....

In anycase, thanks for the suggestion...

I would have thought that with the hot tap on full bore, the combi output wouldn't be enough to scald you.....
I guess you could use two outside bibcocks (with internal check valve) and then a Y connector to give one hose outlet.
John :)

Cos, hot only would give near enough burning hot water, and with the boiler off, cold gets numbingly cold, I thought the concept being a mixer tap, or mixing generally, were quite well understood....

In anycase, thanks for the suggestion...

Well turn the temp down on the boiler :rolleyes: Its not rocket science :LOL:

i have a combi and have hot outside tap to fill paddling pool and for pressure washer, because the flow is high the temp is just nice, no need for a mixer etc

Gigz, That'll do...

Kirk: Mine is a 35kW combi boiler - hot water is REALLY hot. The external tap is going to be connected through a 15mm copper tubing; not very different to the connection to the kitchen sink (incidently, the extenral tap will be tee-d off the h/c water pipes coming to the sink). The sink has REALLY old taps, not proper mixers, and the water coming from them is really high flow, and at the hot only setting, REALLY REALLY hot, much hotten then I would need it outdoor.

In anycase, in the end, I went for 2 gate valves tee-d into a standard brass external tap as the plumber wasn't too comfortable installing the mixer externally.

Riz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back