Outside gas box, loose earth lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at purchasing a property and have a few concerns about the wiring.

I have traced a earth lead coming out of the consumer and going through the kitchen and out to the gas box where it is just hanging loose. Is this ok? There is another earth coming out of the consumer and going onto the mains block where the power comes into the house.

Had been waiting on the electrical safety report from the vendor but he now says he has lost it and doesn't want to pay for another unless we make an offer on the property.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
DSCN1738_zpsrjubtrw1.jpg

DSCN1737_zpscvgimb2c.jpg

DSCN1747_zpseekl09rb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have traced a earth lead coming out of the consumer and going through the kitchen and out to the gas box where it is just hanging loose. Is this ok?
No. It should be attached to the copper pipe going into the house.

Had been waiting on the electrical safety report from the vendor but he now says he has lost it and doesn't want to pay for another unless we make an offer on the property.
One from the vendor may not be reliable/trustworthy.
If you want one you should commission your own.

No. It should be attached to the copper pipe going into the house.

One from the vendor may not be reliable/trustworthy.
If you want one you should commission your own.
Thanks very much, and thank you for such a quick reply.

The copper pipe (right side) has been replaced very recently, so likely whoever did that has removed the original clamp and didn't bother to reconnect.
Given that gas persons are also supposed to check for and have at least some knowledge of such things, it would be worthwhile finding out what gas work has been done recently and who did it.

Sponsored Links
Any plumber who uses solder ring fittings, particularly on gas needs a good talking too.

There's nothing wrong with them per se, but they're like the pushfit of soldered connections

You should have added this to you're other post; it can be done when the garage gets rewired.

I know this is your first purchase, but you need to learn what's important, and what will just cost a few quid to fix. No property is perfect, and you risk losing the property by being picky, when the next person might just say fine and offer more than you.

My sister was looking at buying a house recently, looked fine on the surface (I haven't been, tis in London) but the survey came back as needing a new roof, potentially rotten roof joists, and various sources of damp.

These kinds of things are deal breakers, a bit of dodgy wiring here and there, whilst not ideal, are fairly easy and cheap to remedy. Even a full rewire is in the region of £2-6,000, where as a new roof is probably 3 times that and then some.

It looks like a recently installed CU, so possibly updated earth bonding as well. The cable may never have been attached to the gas service pipework.
There should be recent certs, the installer will have a copy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back