Outside Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I wonder if any of you can offer me some advice. I have a plug socket close to my kitchen window. I want to put 2 lights on my patio. I believe it's ok to take a spur off the socket for the lights, is this correct? If that is correct do I need to put a fuse between the spur switch and the lights and if so, how many amps? 5?. The lights are from B+Q and they are called "Leon". They both use a low energy. 23W bulb
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Peadee

Sponsored Links
You would first need to check that the socket you wish to spur off is suitable to do so.

If it is you could fit an unswitched fused spur unit, then go to a light switch, then to the light.

Or, you can use a switched fused spur unit, then to the light.

Typically, you would use 2.5 mm2 twin and earth cable from the socket to the fused spur unit, then 1.0 or 1.5 mm2 cable thereafter.

You would fit a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the fused spur unit.

Use earth sleeving over any bare earth wires.

As I said earlier, you must ensure your existing wiring at the socket is suitable to add to.

The socket that I am going to spur off is part of a ring main and there are no other spurs, is this ok?

Peadee

Sponsored Links
The RCD you have is 100mA, which is too high, it needs to be 30mA.

There is a differrence between a RCD and a MCB.

This work is notifiable, you must inform the LABC before you start the work.

Is there a reason that my RCD is 100Ma. Is it due to the CU being a bit ancient? Maybe I should just get a whole new box fitted. I've replaced 2 of the MCB's on this board already and they ain't cheap as a result of there not being much call for them!!

Peadee

Because when your installation was constructed, that was all that was required for it to deemed to be safe. Either that or a DIY effeort by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I suspect you have a TT supply, can you confirm? The MEM breakers are more expensive but they are one of the better brands availableon the market.

Are you aware of Part P ?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:earthing-arrangements

I really think you should spend a bit of time learning the basics before you start trying to do....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back