outside sockets...off spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise there is a post on here similar to this..but not the same.
Although this is posted in the UK board I am in fact in Cyprus ..where the leccy is a very similar sytem.
I want to put in a double external waterproof socket..and there is a single socket on an inside wall perfectly placed for the job. What I cannot work out is if I can use it safely.
The house was built about 12 years ago and has a "modern" trip-switch type consumer unit. Having taken the cover off the socket I want to utilise it looks like a spur ..ie only one red and one black wire to the socket. But the socket I refer to has its own trip switch (16A rated) ....i.e there's no other socket e.g on the ring mains (x2) which is affected when switching off this trip switch...just that one socket
Obviously if this socket that I want to take a feed off was a spur off the ring main I wouldnt use it for another spur in effect..I'll make a lot more work but take a spur off a socket that is on the relevant ring main.

However given that it has its own trip switch doesnt this mean its directly fed from the main board and that its safe to add a double external socket to it?

Sponsored Links
Ekon, so long as the MCB (trip switch) does not exceed 16A, then I can see no dangers with installing the external socket the you suggest. However any external socket should, ideally, be RCD protected.

I realise that your not in the UK so the rules will be different, but you can buy waterproof external sockets that incorporate an RCD for extra protection.

Obviously there is a cost involved in this, and the decision is ultimately yours to make, but I would urge that the extra safety it affords is well worth the extra cost.

Many thanks for the prompt reply Bigspark. I already have the twin external socket..brought over from UK. Not sure I've seen the RCD protected type here either.
I think what I'll do is replace the single socket (inside)with a double switched socket..maybe a fusible one.. then use a stand-alone RCD (I have a spare..not used in the garden) plugged into the new internal double socket ..it would not be not visible as the socket I want to spur-off is.. in a cupboard!
Then I'll run some good quality cable from a 13A fused plug (which will be plugged into the RCD) ..outside to the twin external socket..its not going to draw that much power anyway...max 2000W at any time from both external sockets (8A or so).
When you consider what some people have running on supermarket bought "4 from1" socket extension boards ..Ive even seen 'em daisy-chained..adapters i think this'll be safe enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back