Fused twin socket from a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to spur an RCD twin socket (30Ma trip) off a twin socket outlet which is spurred off the ring main. Is this permitted please? Sorry if its been asked before.

Sponsored Links
No, unless the original spur is fused, or the original spur cable is rated for the entire MCB load.

That is, to put it another way, you can fuse down at the first spur or you can down rate the main MCB probably to 20A.

Thanks very much, in that case is there such a thing as a fused twin socket outlet, such that I could then run a second socket spur from it?

Sponsored Links
You need to fit a fused connection unit on the spur cable leaving the socket that is on the ring. Then the fused output from that FCU feeds your two sockets.

IMGP7374.jpg
This is how I got around the problem, the double socket became a single socket and fuse using the LAP grid system. The fuse protects both the socket shown and 3 more double sockets. Since the switch was not expensive it seemed better to make it a switched socket than to use a blank.

As to if the fuse should protect the socket shown as well as the other three could be debated, I did include the socket shown, but had I not then the maximum draw is still only 26A the same as a double socket.

Can't find a grid RCD.

Thanks very much, however, as I still need the existing spur double socket, I'll fit an FCU before it to achieve what I require. Thanks for all the help.

I would like to spur an RCD twin socket (30Ma trip) off a twin socket outlet which is spurred off the ring main. Is this permitted please? Sorry if its been asked before.
Sorry, it might be a stupid question to ask here. Do you use a junction box to spur off the ring main?

You can, or often would be from an existing socket. Just depends what's easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back