Oven and Hob upgrade

TCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a single oven and gas hob and want to replace both with a double oven and ceramic hob.

It has a single outlet controlled by a new MK 45A cooker control with 13A socket. The breaker is 40A.

My questions are:
a) Is a 40A breaker sufficient?
b) Is there a double outlet I can replace the single with?
c) Can I double-up on the existing outlet if a double ones do not exist?

Sponsored Links
doesn't ask about sockets Holmslaw... asking about cooker outlet plates I believe..

and yes there are ones that accept 2 lots of cables..

someone will be along shortly with a picture and a link ( maybe me if I can find the post.. )

Sponsored Links
Great site this, many thanks.

The Dual socket is perfect.

FTR. I love gas hobs but it needs replacing and, as I'm selling the place, a nice black ceramic looks much slicker and is much cheaper!

Any obviously new notifiable work could well mean the buyers will want to see a Building Regulations completion certificate, and this is not the climate in which to be trying to sell a property with any question marks over it.

And installing a hob and an outlet plate are notifiable.... :confused:

Most important though, electric hobs are absolutely useless in comparison to a gas hobs. Electric ovens are much better than gas ovens.
You are going to be extremely dissappointed if you go ahead with your proposal - not telling you what to do - but I assure I'm right.
Stick with the gas hob - please.

Hello holmslaw,
Please would you give further details on why an electric hob is worse than a gas one. I'm just about to get the former!
Thank you.

Most important though, electric hobs are absolutely useless in comparison to a gas hobs. Electric ovens are much better than gas ovens.

You are going to be extremely dissappointed if you go ahead with your proposal - not telling you what to do - but I assure I'm right.

Stick with the gas hob - please.

Having used gas hobs all my life, I can honestly say that the new induction hob we installed 5 months ago is a lot better than gas!

So as well as an induction hob you would have to buy a whole set of special pans that work with it. :(

Many induction hobs are very high wattage too.

If u are going to sell the place suggest u go for radiant ring/ ceramic etc - or gas :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back