Oven trips circuit - but only when lots of water vapour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Brought a house recently and the oven keeps tripping the rcd, but only when cooking certain sort of food.

Basically anything that makes a lot of water vapour will eventually do it.

I guess this is a loose connection or bad seals around a part.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it worth fixing? is it easy to fix yourself.

Any help much obliged. Wife going nuts every time we try to cook a roast.

(Its a Moffat MSF 620X - no idea how old as previous owners left no paperwork) - Also had a sparky round to check all the cabling in the house so that is all fine.

Sponsored Links
Try a new element.

Search google for oven spares. Most websites have a model search that will tell you which element you need. Maybe £30 for a new element, worth a try before you replace the whole thing.

Element dead easy to fit - just remove back of internal oven - 4 screws, then unplug old element and plug in new one.

The new heating elements are about £25 for that make and model, as Steve says, it's just a case of undoing the back plate in the oven and removing the element.
4 or 6 screws in total.

Before buying a new element, check that the glass cover over the light in the oven is fitted properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, I've looked at the light and that seems secure so will try a new heating element,

Thanks guys

Hey guys just thought i'd let you know what it turned out to be.

Managed to work out that the oven was new enough to be under warranty and got them out to look at it.

Turned out it was a piece of the fibreglass backing that hadn't properly been punched out and was effectively blocking one of the fans, I think the cooling one. This was preventing the steam from being properly dealt with, causing an eventual power shut down.

So there you go wasnt expecting that one.

May help out others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back