Oven trips RCD when it is turned OFF - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a NEFF built in oven (not sure how old as we rent). It had the element replaced maybe a year or two ago just for info as it was not heating up to temperature. Anyway now, the problem is that intermittently, perhaps once a week, it will trip the RCD when we turn it OFF. Yes OFF. Always off. I think we have worked out it tends to do this more when the oven is used for a short time, like to warm a croissant up or something for only 5-10 mins, perhaps when it has not got fully up to temp. Then when I switch the main to the off position is when it trips. This is with just the main oven (fan assisted) on and nothing else.

The oven has a wall switch in the kitchen to fully turn it off. This is obviously always kept on. I had an electrician out a few weeks ago and he said it is the appliance/oven at fault. Although, he did notice that the wall switch had a lose neutral wire behind it which might have been causing it to arc. He tightened this up, yet the problem still exists.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just as an experiment see if switching it off at the wall switch rather than the oven still causes the problem. The loose neutral & possible arcing may have goosed the switch contacts.

Just as an experiment see if switching it off at the wall switch rather than the oven still causes the problem. The loose neutral & possible arcing may have goosed the switch contacts.

Yeah. Thing is I cannot make it do it on demand and I would have to keep doing that all the time as sometimes it does it only once every week or so. I wonder if there is a way I can try to replicate the issue.

You asked for ideas, no one is going to tell you what the cause of such an unusual problem is without being there & being able to test anything. You are going to have to make some effort to isolate the fault further yourself.

Sponsored Links
i was wondering if you ever managed to find a solution to this problem? i have a customer who has the same issue in a 14 month old Bush oven.

Hi
I have just bought a Neff double oven with the same fault, it trips the RCD when I turn the main oven off but nothing trips when I turn the small oven off, I have had a sparky checkout the wiring and he said it's the oven, the Neff engineer said there was no fault on the oven and it's the wiring help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back