Over head supply PME possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if DNO's will provide PME from an overhead supply? or if it is possible?

I have had to install an earth rod already, but ideally the customer would like a 'supplied' earth (so would I, ground is terrible!!!!!)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but not always, the DNO have to have ties the neutral down to earth on each rod, a good way to tell if it is possible is to see if the neutal on the pole feeding the property in question has been tied down to earth.

The poles should have a PME warning plate if they are likely to support PME.

Not wanting hijack the OP's question but would this tie down take the form of a copper strap to earth, I see this a lot here and I assumed it was a lightning earth ? without giving it any thought
Dev

Sponsored Links
Usually a double sheathed cable, 25 or 35mm. It it crimpted at the base of the pole to a hard drawn bare conductor which is run in a trench usually.

An LV earth tape is always run at an angle to an HV.

If no trench is open or possible, a rod may be used, but fairly rare (especially in my area).

Not every pole needs bonding down - every 3rd typically, although more if works are being carried out.

I have only ever had difficultly getting PME where the property is served by a long run of poles serving the one property, or where the final drop from the pole to the house is two singles rather than a concentric. In these cases it is fairly expensive.

Indeed, if the drop is one single concentric then there is more than likely PME available.

This could be checked at the CU by switching off, removing bonding and performing a Ze.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back