Over long screw and a fool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 6 years since building an extension there has been an un-connected switch outside the new bedroom door. It should have been the fourth switch in a four way for the landing lights. On Saturday I bit the bullet and put in the three core and earth to bring it into service. This work was prompted by the imminent failure of a 25 year old surface mounted architrave switch that was the end switch of the three way system. On Saturday this switch was replaced by an intermediate sunk into the door frame and the triple and earth run with the other cables up in the hollow of the door frame. While in a working mode I turned my attention to the beading on the door which, since having new doors fitted last year, was not in the best position requiring a hefty tug to close the door.

Carelessly or foolishly I used an over long screw and put the tip into the new triple and earth. Just enough to short the live carrying blue to CPC

At least for the replacement of the cable on Sunday all the holes in the joists and beam had already been drilled.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back