Overide switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have two seperate outside light systems, both with pir's and both say you can fit an override switch, no problem so far but on the wall inside the house the space is fairly limited and i understand the override switches have to be a fused switch and not a normal lighting switch so I need the following

Some way to fit 2 override switches and one 1g1w lighting switch without the whole thing looking like a power station console and all side by side - was thinking maybe some sort of modular grid switching ? Any help much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
How are the lights switched at the moment, normally to override the PIR function you need a one way switch that switches on/off.
The manufactures instructions will tell you that you may need to operate the switch on/off in quick succession to override the PIR.

You mention 'fused switch'. A fused spur, switched or otherwise, would only be required if the lights are fed from something other than a conventional lighting circuit - for example a socket circuit.

What do you have at the moment?

Possibly a 3 gang switch would do it - one switch as the isolation switch, and the other two as two separate overide switches.

There is no circuit at the moment but both light circuits with the pir's will be powered off the lighting circuit. What i am trying to do is fit an override switch for both pir circuits, it says you can do this with both systems, so each circuit has its own override switch and i still need the 1g1w light switch for the lounge so

is it ok to use a normal 3g lighting switch so i can keep it all neat as i said earlier space is limited or maybe a grid type switch system if a fused switch is needed - hope this helps :)

Sponsored Links
I'd advise a 4-gang, if you have the space:
  1. Lounge switch
  2. DP isolator for the outside lights - you will find it extremely annoying to lose your indoor lights if you get water in the outside ones `- you need to be able to isolate them.
  3. Override switch #1
  4. Override switch #2
Unless anybody can point you at a grid system which has DPDT centre-off switch modules which could double as isolators and overrides.

Ok thanks that all sounds good but can the override switches be just normal light switches ? as in 1g1w, 1g2w etc

Good advice above ^^^^
Faulty outside lights tripping in the middle of the night ... Repeatedly... Is bad

Thanks everyone much appreciated :)
All the answers you've been given are reasonable in terms of one interpretation, but no-one seems to have actually asked you what you mean by an 'override switch'. Do you want this switch to turn on the light when it is not on by virtue of the PIR, or a switch to prevent the light coming on as a result of the PIR being triggered by movement?

Kind Regards, John.

Both pir circuits to have a seperate switch, one for each circuit, that will override the pir and allow the lights to be turned on and stay on, then activate the switch(s) again to reset the pir's and set the circuits back to auto. This is specified in the instructions and both light circuits can have this switch according to the manufacturer.

So back to my original question does the switch have to be a fused connection or can i use a normal lighting switch? A 3g light switch would be fine and i just have the room, one for the lounge light and the other two for the pir circuits. A point to note , the instructions do not specify the type of switch to be used.

So back to my original question does the switch have to be a fused connection or can i use a normal lighting switch? A 3g light switch would be fine and i just have the room, one for the lounge light and the other two for the pir circuits. A point to note , the instructions do not specify the type of switch to be used.
Thanks for clarifying. As others have said, ordinary lighting switches would be fine. BAS's idea of using a 4g switch (with the fourth being an isolator for both PIR lights) is a particularly good one - for the reason he gave.

Kind Regards, John.

Also consideration for RCD protection may be needed, depending on the installation method and if you have RCD protection already in place.

You didn't actually mention in the original post that one switch was going to be for the lounge.

I therefore assumed when you spoke of three switches one would turn both outside lights off completely.

Ideally you should have a switch to complete isolate the lights.

You don't mention if the existing wiring would provide the overide facility as you suggest.

Alternatively, it may be possible for the overide switch to control both lights.

Pictures would be very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back