Paging Tony Agile!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tony
You had a tip a few years ago for testing boiler thermistors. A wee setup which included a Pot & resistors. Could you please share it again in the combustion chamber pot.
Many thanks.
Dick Puller

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If your testing the thermistor you ned a multimeter, if your testing the boiler you need a pot and a resistor in series (to stop the pcb seeing zero resistance) not sure what else you would need ?

If your testing the thermistor you ned a multimeter, if your testing the boiler you need a pot and a resistor in series (to stop the pcb seeing zero resistance) not sure what else you would need ?

Yeah it was the Pot & resistor in series mate. Has Tony f.cked off to France again on his holibags???

Puller, look at the MIs, what is the minimum resistance the thermistor is going to indicate i.e. at max temperature.
That will be value of the resistor you need (Ideal Icos 85 degree resistance value is 1k)
25 degree resistance is 9k7 to 10k3

I would pick 1k resistor and 10 k pot. Solder the resistor to middle connection on the pot. connect one (test) wire to other leg of the resistor and another (test) wire to right hand connection on the pot

Minimum setting would indicate 85 degrees and full travel of spindle on the pot about 25 degrees.
If you want reverse reading, move the outer wire to the tag that is 'spare'

Thanks everyone. I've just found one I made up a few years ago, but the ones details do give a huge range.

I would be more inclined to use a 20k or 25k pot ( or switch an extra 10 K resistor in series ) .

That is so that I can test the frost protection function which many boilers have.

The best ones have two features, run pump below 3 C and start burner below 1 C. Approximate temperatures. Usually activated at about 17 k or more.

Tony

Hi im relatively new to this, just waiting for my gas safe to come through now, why would you need resistors ect? can you not just use a multimeter?

This is to see how the boiler responds to certain values of NTC sensors.

A multimeter cannot do that!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back