Painting roof fascia boards and soffits -Access equipment? £Quote?

The key to earning good money with domestic work is to get customes that want a professional job. Not weekend warriors that think because they can paint there living room any one can do it, and there calling you just because they ain't got time-AVOID

As a minimum people should be going £20ph £160per day but you can get that as a subby and more on site work but that's the bare minimum imo

Thanks.

What would you say is the profile of an ideal customer is? like their age range, marital status etc.

Sponsored Links
Market forces will largely dictate what people are willing to pay - in other words, if EVERYONE (and I mean everyone) charges £200 a day then that's the price you charge. As soon as people are willing to work for less, then you are in danger of having to drop the price too. That's the problem with foreign pros entering the UK market, as they sometimes are happy to charge less.

The answer of course, is to build a reputation that people are willing to pay a little more for.

At the end of the day, if you cant afford to work for what is the market rate, then you're in the wrong line of work.

Good luck with it all.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMA
Every decorator near me is fully booked and charging £150/day min. But instead of quoting a day rate to clients, quote an all inclusive fixed price.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
My trade is actually theatre and film work but I work at height and have a pasma card
I used to roadie and did daft stuff as I was immortal at that age
I often use tallescopes or zargees Aframes
Our general rule is only use a ladder as a means of last resort. Apart from anything, a ladder is hard to work off and is slower. A harness is no good unless somebody can get you down quickly

You can get scaff towers that do not require pasma training bu I don't expect they'd go that high

How long do you think you'd need the access for?
Probably better to "invest" in pasma training than a ladder.

• Thanks
My trade is actually theatre and film work but I work at height and have a pasma card
I used to roadie and did daft stuff as I was immortal at that age
I often use tallescopes or zargees Aframes
Our general rule is only use a ladder as a means of last resort. Apart from anything, a ladder is hard to work off and is slower. A harness is no good unless somebody can get you down quickly

You can get scaff towers that do not require pasma training bu I don't expect they'd go that high

How long do you think you'd need the access for?
Probably better to "invest" in pasma training than a ladder.

Any form of access that doesn't require training probably won't be much more than a small set of steps or a hop up.

Looking at what OP suggested mind, that staging, you wouldn't catch me up those things regardless of how much the jobs worth.

As for buying your own tower Op, don't bother. They're subject to testing and certification and if any of it doesn't comply and you have an accident, there's certainly no claim. That's why hire companies are so popular.

• Thanks
OP: If the "average" is £100 - £195, why are you pitching at the bottom?. If you are currently keeping busy every day, then ramp up to,say, £150. If you lose a days work every week, you will still be earning the same every week.

As mentioned, there are costs in buying storing, maintaining and testing your own access gear. I would have thought having decent ladders are a must, but above that, hiring is the answer. But find a local firm that you can trust and develop a relationship with.
The thing about buying your own kit is that you then have to effectively "rent" it to your clients. That would be harder to do than showing your punters the hire shops list price as evidence of cost. Any discount you can negotiate can be to your benefit.

• Thanks
Back